Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote user connects to server but can't get email

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregK

MIS
Oct 22, 1999
US
Visit site
The remote user uses a Toshiba T4800CT 486 laptop with Win95 and Outlook 98. They can connect to the domain server but when they try to get their email they get the message: Your MS Exchange Server is unavailable. Which is not true. They can get their email when in the office. Any ideas?

What remote access services are you using? If you are using NT RAS then what protocols are you using? If you are using TCP/IP then see if the can Ping the server when they are logged on. RAS uses either TCP/IP or IPX to connect when dialing in directly. Your Exchange server might be set up for TCP/IP and the connection might be IPX.<br>
<br>
Let me know<br>
<br>
Tool

I agree with Tool. Try pinging by name. Also try using the &quot;check name&quot; facility under profiles/mail and fax in Control panel. I find that adding NetBeui normally solves it.

I have had this problem a lot. I have the users remove their TCP/IP protocol and re-add it. That is the only protocol that they use so I make sure that they have not added another one. Have had to remove Client for Netware protocols/services a number of times! Anyway - once they add the TCP/IP it solves their problems.<br>
Good Luck!

Try running MSDUN1.2 update to update to dial up networking new version and it updates the IP stack too. It cures most probs I have found. And its quicker. Yes, an MS product that speeds up with the new version...

can they ping the ip address? can they ping the netbios name? if not add the ip and name to their hosts file and that should take care of it.

On your RAS (server) settings do you have "access the entire network" enabled? I also agree with the above quote of updating the dial-up networking/IP stack.<br>
<br>
Another trick you can try, is dialing in using Dial-up Networking...Server Type..."Windows for Workgroups and NT3.51".<br>
<br>
We've also had wierd situations where even if you are just using TCP/IP, you also need to have Netbeui enabled, as well.

You could also put a &quot;Host&quot; file on the client PC (in the windows directory) containing the IP address and netbios name of the computer.<br>
<br>
EX.<br>
<br>
192.x.x.x myserver<br>
<br>
<br>
Save the file as &quot;Host&quot;, no extension, in the windows directory.

I've run into this same problem many times. All of the previous responses were accurate but I'd add one more, especially because you're using a laptop. Last time I dealt with this I found that by stopping the network card on the laptop, I was able to access the Exchange server. The user used his laptop as a desktop machine while in the office and there was some hidden conflict keeping him from accessing Exchange. Microsoft support has a tech note on the subject. Try searching Network Adapter and Exchange.<br>

This is an issue with laptops.&nbsp;&nbsp;MdB is correct.&nbsp;&nbsp;What you can do is remove the NIC from the configuration and save it as a different config.&nbsp;&nbsp;I did this with mine so that when I am out of the office I can boot without the network adapter installed and with when I am in the office (without having to physically remove the card each time).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back