Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote User Cannot Access Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rquinn

Technical User
Nov 21, 2002
GB
I have a remote user who is dialing into our Dlink router using a standard ISDN modem card.
I have setup the remote dialin features on the router and the user can dialin and connect to the router no problem using a static IP address within our range but cannot ping any IP addresses past the router.
Our network consists of 12 NT4 workstations and 2 NT4 domain controllers.
all users on our network can ping the router which proves it is connected to our network ok.
No firewall is present on our network.

Sounds like a routing issue. Make sure you have a route back to the client ip network. Is this a new setup for the dial up users? ie, have a client been able to dial up before and ping internal networks? When at first you don't succeed, try try again

Have not created a routing table, wouldnt even know where to start. Using the manufacturers wizard and online documentation remote access is a straight forward process with no routing tables involved, Have noticed though when i setup the router as a DHCP server the remote computer comes back with the error "the server did not assign an ip address" the remote can only connect with a static ip address.

Point: there is 2 routers on this network with all desktops configured through TCP to use the other router as their gateway, should this make a difference ?

Sorry yes this a new installation

Give me some network addresses.

Whats the network address of the internal network?

whats the address of the first router and the second?

what address are you assigning to the dialup client?

Amar

When at first you don't succeed, try try again

The user dialing in is using an ISDN modem with a fixed address of 10.0.0.50 and a sunet mask of 255.255.255.0

The router being used for internet access in our office has an IP address of 10.0.0.1 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 all NT workstations have this address as their default gateway.

The router being used to accept dial-in connections has a fixed ip address of 10.0.0.100 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

the office subnet is 10.0.0 and a mask od 255.255.255

all users can ping the dial-in router but they have no gateway settings for this router in TCP-IP

dial-in users can ping the dial-in router but nothing else

Thanks for your input

Robert

Hmmm, everything spunds okay. Unless the ISDN dialup lime is timing out after the idle time out.

To keep it simple. Try to have the router assig an IP address to the client automaticly. That ought to do it.

Check your router and see if the router can use your internal DHCP to assign IP addresses to the dialup clients. If not see if you can creat an IP pool on the router itself to assign IPs to clients.

Good Luck
Amar

When at first you don't succeed, try try again

Thanks,
Will give it a try. Keep u posted

Regards,
Robert

I give my vote for RAdmin too.
No headache.
Simplicity and speed.
And with a wrapper ( - the program becomes even more cool!
The remote install and setup, computers stored in folders, search of new PC, WakeOnLan and many others...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back