Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote User Administration 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vandaddy

Technical User
Jul 13, 2005
US
How can I connect to a remote user for administration? I ant to be able to access remote workstations to install/troubleshoot for the non-computer friendly users.

I was told that once the remote user connectes to the VPN, I
(administrator) can then remote desktop to their new internal IP address. Not only does that not work, but I can not even ping their address.

Using sbs2003
Remote Client connects with MS PPTP VPN with no problem (roadwarriorsetup)
Remote Client can ping internal servers/workstations
Remote Client is behind home router (D-Link)

I would also like the option to request/preform remote assistance if the remote client is connected.

Any Ideas?

Use a third party piece of kit like;
- ££££
VNC - Free

Then you can just connect using their Public Address, and with a basic Word Guide to CMD - IPconfig ANY user can read out the IP Address........ eventually!!!!

If they're behind a home router things can get tricky as these often contain firewalls that prevent you doing the above because of the naughty people out there on the net!

Iain

Thanks. I guess I was just thinking of that it should of been easer to see the client because the he can connect to the VPN and ping our internal junk without a problem.

And I have to say, you seem very optmisitc that when a user is looking a comand line, they just won't throw some water on the computer and run away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back