Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Telnet Failure Through VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alana0246

Technical User
Jan 20, 2004
GB
Hello

Ive an issue at the moment where our remote users cannot access a Sun box on our local network remotely.

We have 2 boxes which allow telnet, but only one of them is visible through the VPN cloud although the firewall log shows that the session has been decrypted so the session is making to the local network.

It is possible to telnet to the device from machines within the local network and we're pretty certain the routing tables are okay.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where this might be failing.

Thanks

A

I don't think this is specifically a Telnet failure; it sounds more like a communication failure. I'm not sure of that though because of the way the post was worded. Let me ask some more specific questions in hopes of narrowing the problem down...

When you say you can “see” one Sun box but not the other, does that mean you can communicate with one but not the other? Can you ping the one that you cannot establish a telnet connection to? Are the two (Sun) computers on the same subnet? Can you communicate with other machines on the remote network (the side with the Sun boxes) when connected through the VPN (ping, telnet, however...)? Is this problem happening with all remote connections or is it only happening with specific remote connections? Are you using host names or IP addresses to connect to the computer?

If you could, please post back with responses to the above questions. I'm not sure I'll be able to figure it out, but with the information provided there are so many possible things that could be going wrong. Hopefully we can narrow the problem down some. If I can't help someone else might be able to with more information.

I have a busy weekend but will be sure to check back in on occasion...

deeno

Deeno

Thanks for your help, but we got the problem solved. It was simple as adding a "count" to the default route. The default is 0 but we changed this to 1 - all is now working.

Regards

A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back