Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remote shutdowns 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mturner

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2001
GB
hi all, i need a way of remotly shutting down workstations (all win2k pro) and if pos servers too. i have tried useing computer management and connecting to the server and then shutting down from there but that is istant, i would like a way of being able to time it.
i have seen another person do this before, thi sapparently was in pure 2k aswell, no 3rd partys. a message pops up on the screen saying the system will shut down in ?? minutes, please save your work. he could also add a little message such as system will be back up in 1 hour etc.
can anyone shed any light on how to do this?

cheers Marc Turner
Network Manager

E-Mail: Mturner@turnerm3.fsnet.co.uk

Shutdown.exe from the resource kit does exactly what you describe.

You can shut down any workstation, if you are an administrator or having administrator's previlage. For Servers, you should have Terminal Server for Client installed in the PC, from where you are trying to shut down the server and you must have administrator previlage.

hi,

Another utility from res kit is "shutgui" this will allow to remotely shut down the pcs if you are havnig admin preveliges. thsi works file with graphical user interface.

HTH Aslam

where would i get the resorce kit? Marc Turner
Network Manager

dont worry found it, shutdown.exe does the job excelently!, cheers, i can now give my users another reason to beat me up. Marc Turner
Network Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back