Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote shutdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roaders

Programmer
Aug 5, 2001
GB
I am trying to shut down my desktop remotely from my laptop. I can't do it through remote desktop so I have downloaded server tools:

when I try and shut it down it says it is shutting down but leaves me with the 'it is now safe to turn off your computer screen'
I have enabled all power options that I can find.

What else should I do?

Thanks.

Giles. Giles Roadnight
messenger: giles_roadnight@hotmail.com

Are you doing this from XP to XP?

If so there is a command line tool called shutdown that may do what you want.

Hope this helps.
[smurf]

yeah I am. Can you tell me a bit more about it? THanks. Giles Roadnight
messenger: giles_roadnight@hotmail.com

I don't have any windows machines infront of me at the moment so I can't tell you exactly but from memory 'shutdown -i' at a dos prompt will bring up the GUI. There are a few options like -r for restart and -f for force (i think) but just type 'shutdown' or 'shutdown -?' for a list of options.

If its a pain going to a command prompt then you can create a shortcut with target of "shutdown -i" to put anywhere you want.

Cheers [smurf]

just enter something like

Code:
runas /noprofile /netonly /user:OTHER-MACHINE\Administrator "shutdown -s -m \\OTHER-MACHINE -t 0 -f"

When prompted, enter the password of the local adminstrator account on the other machine. The runas part might not be needed, depending on the accounts used, but this is the sure way.

You might need to add a string value of "1" for PowerDownAfterShutdown at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon if your system stays at the "It is now safe to turn of your computer" screen... (on the other machine, ofcourse)...
---
saybibi();
//john
#include <stddiscl.h>

When you are connected by Remote Desktop to your other machine, you press CTRL-ALT-END. It brings up the Windows Task Manager on the remote machine, and you can use the Shutdown from the Menu to turn off the remote computer.
Hope this is simpler for you..

Or CTRL+Alt+Del if you have your remote destop open in a full window.

The best and most permanent solution is to edit the registry... the key you are looking for is PowerDownAfterShutdown... change the value from 0 to 1 or 1 to 0... I can't remember which is which...

The actual key is HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\PowerDownAfterShutdown debonairOne

&quot;I look in the mirror and what do I see...&quot;
dboneanime.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back