Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote service start and stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigmon

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2002
US
How can I remotely stop and start a service on a 2k server box? Is there anyway to use net stop remotely?

Thanks in advance.

Options:: Terminal services, telnet (of course, the service has to be running), and easiest way is with the NETSVC command from the Resource Kit.

I didn't even think of telnet like an idiot. :)
Is there anyway I can give a user access to start and stop a service without putting him into the domain admin group?
Long story short one of our software engineers needs to remotely stop and start a service to deploy updates to a logging system. I however do not want to put him in the domain admin group. Thanks in advance.

well, if the server is not a DC, you can make the user a local admin. Or (more restrictive)..you can edit the permissions on the particular service in the registry to include the user with Full Control rights...hope that's helpful :)

Worked perfectly. Such a simple solution but sometimes it takes somebody else to suggest it. Thanks for your help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back