Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Server 2003 as DC - terminal services 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpaverd

IS-IT--Management
Nov 13, 2002
US
We have an SBS 2003 environment with a remote Server 2003 R2 system for a subsidiary office (8,000 miles away). This server 2003 box is currently running as a DC.

Against the advice of Microsoft I have installed Terminal services on this server remotely (OOPS) Now when I try to reconnect, it gives the error "The remote session was disconnected because there are no Terminal Server licenses available to provide a license."

The server is still connected and communicating with the primary SBS server, I just cannot access it.

Any suggestions here? I could try setting up the SBS 2003 server as a TS licensing server if that would resolve the issue, but I am cautious about doing anything that would excacerbate the situation.... Worst case, I can have someone install VNC and do away with the RDP connection totally, but that is obviously not ideal.

Has anyone had any experience with server virtualization on a DC running TS in the virtual server? (A bit tricky to do this remotely without RDP access!)

Thanks

Richard

Were you trying to install Terminal Services in application mode or is it for remote administration? Terminal service for remote administration is enabled by default and you do not need full blown Terminal Services for this.
You should re-configure Terminal Services and then have someone enable TS for remote administration by going to My Computer-->Properties-->Remote-->Enable Remote Desktop on this computer.

Hope this helps

I think you have to uninstall the Terminal Services module...

If you do not want to do so, you have to install Terminal Services License Manager, but then you have to buy some licenses...

For a Windows 2003 server, Remote Desktop is preinstalled, but limited to two consecutive users. Not a problem if RDP is just used for administrative purposes.

Regards, Sybje

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. We have twenty four other clients out there all accessed via remote administration. I am quite happy to buy and install licenses if I was comfortable that it was going to work. The only relevant Microsoft document I could find related to Terminal Services under Windows Server 2000

Thanks

richard

From my limited use if you are looking for using this as something like an application server you would just need to find the appropriate amount of licenses you will need and purchase from Microsoft and setup the licensing management component for TS and point to the license file that you receive from Microsoft. As I write this I am diddling with Vista and havent setup a TS box in about 1.5 yrs but I remember it being very straight forward and simple for even the novice user which I was.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the input - real question is related to running it on the DC. I gather from a lot of reading that the TS server should be a member server and that the licensing server MUST be a DC.

At this stage we only have the remote server as a DC and now with TS semi-installed and i cannot even access it...!

Thanks

Richard

Terminal Servers should only be a member server and under no circumstance should you put your DC on it as you will demand too much of the server and also users are going to have access to this server and not only should it be so locked down that the users struggle to breathe but if it is accidentally rebooted by a user afte for example a software update from acrobat reader or windows, your DC goes down too. They should only contain Windows & Programs, everything else should be elsewhere. (They also need to have plenty of Memory)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back