Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote replicate problem with netwoked linked tables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slugmaster

Programmer
Jan 15, 2001
US
I have an Access database(DB1) that contains a couple of tables linked to another Access database(DB2). Both databases are on a network drive (ie: \\Computer1\folder\db1.mdb, \\Computer1\folder\db2.mdb).

I then used the Access replicate feature on DB1 so that my technicians can use the database on their laptops when they are on the road.

The problem is that the DB1 tables that are linked to DB2 are not accessable due to the fact that they are looking for \\Computer1\folder\db2.mdb.

I tried to make a copy of DB2 on the laptop, then modify the Connect property (in Visual Basic 6.0) from each linked table from DB1 to point at the local copy. This approach did not work, any time that I would try to access the data, the Connect property changed back to the network drive.

How can I get past this problem?

Is DB1 the front end to DB2? If so, you should replicate DB2 only. Copy the front end db to each laptop, but replicate each backend to the laptop. Then reset the links in DB1(the front end) to the newly replicated DB2(back end). You will need only synchronize DB2.

If this isn't the case, then you'll need to replicate both db's(not a good idea).

It seems that I need to remove the links to each other, replicate both databases, and write my code to juggle access to both databases. I don't see too many drawbacks other than writing a bunch of code to handle it.

JerryDennison stated that replicating both db's is not a good idea, what are some reasons why?

To me it isn't a good idea simply from a housekeeping issue. In order to maintain one(ostensibly) database system you are having to keep up with(replicate) two databases. In a typical FE/BE system only data changes in the BE. While you could replicate the FE there are some aspects of replication that do not permit change. Most of these aspects are in the areas of forms/reports/queries design control. It is usually easier to merely change the front end and replace as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back