Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Queue to Remote Queue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnMN

Programmer
Oct 28, 2002
US
I have an application that runs on three systems:
SysA - NT;
SysB - OS/390 (in-house);
SysC - OS/390 (business partner)

I need to exchange messages between SysA and SysC. Business partner will not allow a channel from NT to their OS/390 system. (Channel from SysB to SysC already exists.)

Can I define a remote queue on SysA that resolves to a remote queue on SysB, which then in turn resolves to a queue on SysC?

The doc seems to suggest it's OK, but there is no definitive statement. Thanks for any help.

john f.

yep....you sure can....isn't MQ wonderful? :)

As long as you have all the transmit queues and you define the queues and channels correctly you should be fine.

In fact, you don't even need to have an intermediate Remote Queue on SysBif you use something like this QRemote definition on SysC:

QName: QR.SYSC
RemoteQMgrName: SYSC
RemoteQName: QL.SYSC
XMitQ: SYSB

Cheers,
Paul

Thanks for the quick responses! I like the suggestion from pmeekin, but the queue already exists on SysB. Other Apps on SysB are using that queue.

As usual, I've managed to find another question in the meantime.

I'm trying to figure out what to specify for my reply-to Qmgr. The reply needs to come back to SysA, but SysC doesn't know about SysA. So, I don't think it would work to put SysA there.

I'm thinking I need to define a remote Q on SysB that resolves to a local queue on SysA, and use SysB as my ReplyToQMgr. SysC knows about SysB, so it can easily send a reply there. SysB should then forward the reply to SysA.

I'm pretty sure that would work, but if anybody has another suggestion, I'd be happy to entertain it. Thanks again!

John

Yes, your proposal will work fine and, if you can't make any changes to SysC is probably your only solution.

Alternatively, you could get the SysC people to define a QMgr Alias called SysA which points to their SysB XMitQ. Then any message arriving at SysB will be routed through to SysA automatically. This would allow you to use temp dynamic queues as your Reply-To queues if you so desired.

Cheers,
Paul

Thanks again for your help. I think I know everything now :)

SysA is a test system, and we might switch the testing between three or four different boxes. We don't want to have SysC make any permanent changes. It's a financial application for a bank, so this type of change would require significant approvals.

Thanks!

John
in Warm and Sunny Minneapolis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back