Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

REMOTE PROCEDURE CALL FAILED!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brainpudding

Technical User
Sep 29, 2002
US
I dont know what happened i think it started when a windows update install went bad. But after about then I cant install anything anymore.. it get to the installing part with the bar moving across the bottom and it gets to about the middle and hangs there.. it says its still running .. its not stuck on "Not Responding" this happens on ANY thing i try to install. and usually is i let it sit for a while is get the infamous Remote Procedure Call Failed error message. I have found a way to install 99% of my items .. thats in safe mode. oh and unistall is the same way .. this is driving me nuts HELP!!

If it is not occuring in SafeMode that leaves out the basic drivers causing the issue. It may be the SP that was installed, a software conflict, or other drivers.

Since it started after installing SP1 you may want to try and uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

If that does not work you may want to see if it is another program causing the problem. You can do that by Clicking Start>Run, type "MSCONFIG", and click "OK". Click on the "Startup" tab, take note of what is checked and unchecked if any. Click on "Disable All" then "Apply" and "OK". At this point reboot.

After Windows boots, try to install something to test. If it works it is a matter of finding what program is causing the issue by going back into MSCONFIG and checking a few at a time, rebooting, and testing.

If the MSCONFIG, disable all, does not work. Shut down the PC and disconnect any external devices that are attached to the PC, such as printer, USB Hub, etc. and test.

Hope this helps.

I will try the process of elimination on the msconfig tomight .. (finger crossed).. should i uninstall all the service packs? and reinstall all of them after i reboot?

and to the first response i turned everything off before i tried the install.. i use zone alarm and norton ... i guess disabling the norton is like turning it off .. i dont know how to turn it OFF..lol

just a extra note ... it is not on all install that i get the problem .. i had the problem on macromedia MX and now i was trying to install windows xp PLUS! (had some nice screen savers)

I will post my results after tonight on here ... WHAT THE HELL IS A REMOTE PROCEDURE CALL ANYWAY!!

LOL Thanks

I would suggest to uninstall the SP and then test the system to see if it worked. If everything if fine then try installing the SP again to see if the issue comes back.

From what I know and understand about a Remote Procedure Call it is something that lets programmers create applications that may be used over similar operating systems easier and without making major changes for each.

Good luck. Let me know how it turns out.

It took me ALL DAY to uninstall all of them and its still not working.. i unustalled all of SP1 and 2 and i also turned off everything in the start menu. still same thing AHHHHHH!!!!

See what "services" (start/run/services.msc)are running in "safe" versus "normal" mode. Maybe the difference is the problem.

If the above does not help you and you uninstalled your updates (some updates don't have a uninstall facility), you have nothing much to lose by doing a repair installation of windows.

Some general things to try first.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates (most, it seems you have already removed), but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

I got here through Google, and I'm way out of my league, but I began having this problem a couple of days ago, and I fixed it on my system. So I thought I'd pass along what I did.

Through the msconfig safe boot I learned that the Remote Procedure Locator Service was loaded as essential, but not started. I was unable to start it manually. I went to services and looked at the Properties for Remote Procedure Locator and found it was set to a User logon. I switched it to Local System logon, and everything is working fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back