Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remote printing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midrange

Vendor
Aug 28, 2002
SG
hi all, is it possible to use a linux machine to act as a print server to print a report from AIX? We have a situation that the xerox printer does not have a driver for aix. so we decided to conigure it on the linux machine.

the problem, i cannot configure from aix a remote printer queue since the type of print spooler doesn not contain lunix. I have tried BSD,SYSTEM V but didn't work.

waiting for your recommendations.

thanks.

Did you try to configure directly your printer as a jetdirect printer on your AIX box ?

What print system are you using on linux? i.e CUPS,LPRng
CUPS is normally the default.

Gloups, we can print to the printer using jet direct but using the generic driver. but we cannot able to print a pdf file since we are just using the generic driver not a xerox driver. i cannot find any driver for aix on Xerox document centre405.

fajum, we are using CUPS (linux, lpd and LPRng).

thanks.

Unless you install cups on Aix(which i wouldn't advise) you will have to enable cups-lpd to allow you to print from Aix. When you setup the remote queue in Aix select BSD as remote queue type. Yuo can then setup your queue on linux using the Xerox driver and print direct to that queue from Aix. If you need help enabling cups-lpd let me know.

i am having somehow the same problem.,.i am configuring systemV at AIX 5.1 to make use of lp commands. however, i can only use few lp switches like.. lp -o -c=compressed and -ono banner, but the rest i cannot use. i am using hpjetdirect.. thats why..any idea why?

You can see all of the supported options in the /etc/lp/interfaces/PrintQueueName script. AIX SystemV printing is much more limited than when you use true HP JetAdmin printing functionality. I have has success rewriting the AIX model script using the HP model script as an example but this is very tedious.

Jim Hirschauer

thanks Fajum, can you help me how to enable the cups-lpd on aix?

You have to enable cups-lpd on your linux server. This can be done by editing the file /etc/xinetd.d/cups-lpd and changing the disable=yes to disable=no You will then have to refesh xinetd.

Hope this helps

oops! - forgot to say if you do not use xinetd and use inetd instead you will have to edit /etc/inetd.conf and uncomment the line
# printer stream tcp nowait lp /usr/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd cups-lpd

Then refesh inetd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back