Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remote printing problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

syman

MIS
Jan 18, 2002
US
I am having problems printing using the remote unix printer option. I create a printer using sco admin which is created ok but when I try to print a file using lp I get the following error message "UX:lp: error : Destination "printer" is unknown to the LP print service". This is on a server running 5.0.5 I have another server running 5.0.4 which works fine. lpstat -pprinter shows queueing enabled.
Any ideas
thanks syman

hi,
dumb question but have you enabled remote printing.

if you have,
1. check the /etc/printcap file
2. check that lpd is running (ps -ef | grep lpd)
3. check that your machine has permission to print to the remote printer (/etc/hosts.lpd on the remote machine, if its an sco box)
4. what does lpstat -t show you?

hth
unix42

Hi
(1)Remote printing is enabled
(2) The printcap entry is the same as on the server that is working.
(3) LPD is running
(4)It is an Axel terminal ,the host and printer are defined.
(5) lpstat -t shows queueing is enabled.
Thanks syman

does the directory /usr/spool/lpd/<insert printer name here>
exist?

Hi Stan
yes the directory exists and contains the lock file
Ian

(syman = inewham ?)
You responded to unix42 saying the printcap entry is the same as the server that works. is that server the where the printer is connected?
here is a basic example of a remote printcap entry where
devprt is the name of the printer both locally and remote.
the name can be different but i would suggest to keep them the same as lpstat sometimes gets confused. The spool directory must exist on both machines

devprt: :lp= :rm=remoteserver :rp=devprt :sd=/usr/spool/lpd/devprt:

here is an example of a local printer definition in /etc/printcap

label1: :lp=/dev/ttya07:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/label1:

granted neither of these examples use any filters or other features of the print service, but if you start with the simple , then complicate it till it breaks, you will then know where the problem is.

(did that make any sense?)

stan

Hi
Stan yes sysman=inewham ( christian name is Ian)
The printer in question is remote from both servers and is attached to the parallel port of an Axel Platine Terminal which has LPD print facilities embedded. I believe the problem must lie with the set up of the server in question as the server that works correctly will attempt to send the file even if there is no communication with the Axel terminal(eg it is not powered up)The printcap entries on both servers are identical as are the entries in /etc/hosts and the spool directory set up is identical. This may be a red herring but on the server that works remote netware printing option is enabled whereas on the other it is not. Obviously I am using the remote unix option. This is from Sco-Admin although I have also tried setting it up from the command prompt. If I try to change the definition using lpadmin I get the following error message &quot;UCX:lpadmin: ERROR: error reading printer information for &quot;printer name&quot; (bad file number)&quot;.Thanks for your interest and help in this matter
Ian

Dunno if its the same for you, slight command line change :
lpr -d<printer> <file>

*note the R :)
Karv

Karv
unfortunatley use of the lpr command has no effect on the error. Thanks anyway.
Have you any further suggestions ?

you might start over by removing the remoter printer via the lpadmin -x command... 5.0.5 had some issues early in the release with remote printers. I'd start there and recreate the printer (or create a new one with a different name [just for giggles]). The other possibility is to run the 5.0.5 print jobs to the 5.0.4 machine and let it spool it out... Kinda kludgy but sometime ya gotta do whatcha gotta do...

i've been playing with this can't find anything that would specifically cause this but i was able to break scoadmin sufficiently that it couldnt see a remote printer that is properly setup in /etc/printcap and /usr/spool/lpd/.

what i did to correct it was to create a local printer of the same name and then delete it and then readd it as a remote printer.

just a thought....
stan

Megabitman
I have tried as suggested but when trying to create the printer using lpadmin I get the Bad file message again.
Have you any info on any patches that address the problems that you mentioned ref to early issues of 5.0.5
Thanks ian

Stan
I have tried as you suggested but still no joy
Thanks Ian

hey inewham, have you checked out sco's ta #104736? you might need to follow it when removing/readding the printer on the 505 box.

Bah I managed to break Scoadmin now too :)
I now have 36 printers of which I can only see 15.
Whatever I try I can't get a remote printer to install correctly and NOT work.

However I now have an Axel 55 terminal to hand so I will play some :)

First impressions suggerst rlpconf as the tool to set these up with tho.

Back soon.
Karv

Looking back over the number of posts, it might be easier to attach the printer to a Jet Direct. I have found that some implementations of lpd don't play well with others (sorta like some of us computer hacks) and it might be just as well to run it that way (time is money).

Thanks Karv
will keep you posted
Hi Megabitman
only problem is the location of the printer out on the shop floor ,am trying to avoid need for multiple cables and hubs

I have a problem whit printing a remote unix whit sco opernserver 5.05.
I have setting /etc/host and /etc/host,equiv whit the ip adress of two server.
i have setting in the server accept remote job from scoadmin.
I have create a local print.

when i run scoadmin and add printing remote , i see the message&quot; impossible communication on the local printing&quot;

Which is the configuration for print a job remote?
sorry for my english not perfect.

tecnic,
the printer config file is /etc/printcap I can't have sent that email, it says from Superuser.

I recently ran into a very similar problem such as yours. Check these 2 items.

1. Make sure the host that the printer is connected to is defined in the /etc/hosts.lpd file

2. Consider loading SCO's 0ss497c patch. This patch addresses issues dealing with remote printing and printers that disappear from you printer manager in SCOADMIN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back