Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenica

IS-IT--Management
Mar 19, 2002
US
Hi All,

I have an Okidata 391 dot matrix printer connected to a D-Link pocket print server to allow it to have an IP address. I then went into SCOADMIN (Unixware 7.1.1) to add a remote printer, I named it and selected the oki390 driver, and gave it the IP address and it created a print queue and the printer becamed enabled. But when I try to send any print job to it, the printer goes into disabled mode and I get this error:

NAK'd by remote lpd: waiting auto retry

It prints from Windows just fine.

Thanks!
Jenica

NAK'd or NAK'ed means Not Acknowledged.

Are your routes setup correctly? Is the IP in use by another device on the network? How about your subnet mask? Have you rebooted your server?

While I don't use the device above, I do use a jet direct and have run into these issues before. But I just initialize the jet direct and let it pickup an IP address from DHCP as opposed to assigning it one.

Thanks Pmcmicha,

I've verified the things you suggested. No luck so far, but I think we may have a work around. Thanks very much for your reply.

Jenica

When I use remote printers, usually connected to PrintServers (JetDirect and the likes), all I have to do is setup the printer server itself and make sure it is accessible through the network (I give it a unique IP).

I then add an entry in both (/etc/hosts and /etc/printcap). My /etc/printcap entry looks like this

lp17: :lp=:rm=remlpd:rp=lp17:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/lp17

fernlpd is the host name as listed in my /etc/hosts file. Within the /etc/hosts file, as you know, the assigned IP is listed.

Hope this helps!

Jose Lerebours

KNOWLEDGE: Something you can give away endlessly and gain more of it in the process! - Jose Lerebours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back