Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote printer set-up to NT server on port 4374.

Status
Not open for further replies.

theramster

Technical User
Aug 18, 2003
GB
Hi,

I need to set-up an aix print queue to send prints to an NT box.

The NT box is running something called streamserve. This application listens on port 4374.

I need to set-up a remote print queue, but I only have the remote servers ip address, port number and there is no remote queue name.

Is this possible?

The first thing I would try is to use the HP JetDirect driver which defaults to ports 9100, 9101, etc. You may have to manually change the port in /etc/qconfig.

If that doesn't work, then you can use any of a number of print filters to do this. I used to download filters from the terminal server sites, but most of those have consolidated and be bought up. I like one called csportd, which you may be able to find with a google search.

One place that I think you will find help for this at a very small price is:

Hi jwtesch,

Tried the HP Direct driver and changed the qconfig to point at port 7374 ( Didn't work )....

So is what I'm trying to achieve possible via filters ?

Yes, a filter should work, see the above link, but also you need to make sure that the NT system is really accepting print jobs on that port. Try a telnet to the port and see if that can get anything printed. Also use iptrace to look at the traffic to see if the NT sends back any error message.

iptrace -p 7374 -a -b -s <aix_ip> -d <nt_ip> temp.trc

Try to print, then ps -ef | grep iptrace and kill <pid).
Then convert to text with

ipreport temp.trc > temp.rpt

This will give all the conversation in both hex and ascii between the two systems on port 7374. Chances are the NT is really the problem if the JetDirect didn't work, or that the protocol is different?

I don't have the doc for the NT print protocol you are using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back