Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote PIM

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonellen2000

Programmer
Oct 11, 2006
GB
I am looking at setting up a remote PIM in a location 16 miles away from my main site. I currently have an NEC 2000 IPS on main site and I am looking at using an IPS at the remote site. Does anyone know what equipment I will need to connect these to systems together via ADSL connections? As far as I can see, the system already has the licence for the remote PIM.
Thanks, Simon

Look at your config disk that came with your system you should see a part number 150680. If you do not see that number then you do not have the license. Other than the license and programming each site would have to have at least an 8IPLA card and the M606 Ethernet daughter board on the CPU.

Could you clarify what you mean by remote PIM? The reason I ask is NEC does have a connection for a "Remote PIM" which is not your typical CCIS or CCISoIP type connection. The main site has to have a DAIA card and the remote has to have a DAIB card and the sites are connected via a T-1. This set up has limitations. As an example each remote location can only be one PIM and no more. If you filled that PIM and needed more ports you would have to go with CCIS or CCISoIP.

Here is a brief overview of the cards:

PN-DAIA-A DAIA
T1 Digital Trunk Interface (1.5 Mbps) Card for Remote PIM
• Accommodates 24-channel PCM digital lines
• Provides Firmware Processor and BUS interface
• Provides one to six cards at the Main Site (NOTE:)
• FP01-03, FP16-19 can be set.
(NOTE:) Corresponds to the number at the Remote Site.

PN-DAIB DAIB
T1 Digital Trunk Interface (1.5 Mbps) Card for Remote PIM
• Provides Firmware Processor interface
• One card is required per Remote PIM at the Remote Site.

PN-DAIC DAIC
T1 Digital Trunk Interface (1.5 Mbps) Channel Expansion Card
• Provides one to twelve cards at the Main Site
• Provides up to two cards at the Remote Site

DMR would certainly be an options, however I already have a spare MP card as well as PIM. I should clarify a bit more what I am trying to do. At the remote site I want to have Dterm legacy or TDM phones, not IP phones. Apparently if I had two CISCO routers one at each end behind the ADSL router, I would be able to set up a VPN. I am pretty sure that this will work. But I want to double check what equipment I would need at each end for the NEC.

By remote PIM I mean that this would be dependant on the main system. I.e. not CCIS etc but it is actually one PIM of the main system and hence the licences would have to be loaded on the main system etc. I only need about 8-10 phones at that site. I will have no trunk lines connected at that end, which is why I want to have this as a remote PIM to use the existing trunks on the main system.

When you say that you have an ADSL connection between the sites are you looking to frame up a T1 connection or make the remote site an IP remote PIM?

Yes Remote PIM via IP (DMR) will work fine as long as you have a reliable connection between with less than a 300ms delay round trip between sites.
the older T1 DAIA and DAIB cards are not supported on the NEAX IPS since the Remote PIM feature was released.
Your spare MP and PIM will work at the remote site. Simply default the CPU and set it up a site code in the off line mode. Both sites will need an IPLA PAD card and an M606 ethernet board on the CPU if not allready installed.

Thanks pave35, that confirms my thinking. One question though, which IPLA PAD card should I get for this? I am trying to make this as cost effective as possible.
Thanks, Simon

The cheapest one of course. I have no idea of pricing but I would guess that the 8IPLA would be best or you may be able to locate an older 32IPLA somewhere (pre-loved). But by the sounds of it you would not need more than the 8 PAD channels.<br>
But I cannot stress enough how you MUST have a fast reliable connection between the sites. Too many installs of remote PIM start screaming about the equipment being faulty because it keeps going into survival mode when the whole time it was WAN interuptions or issues with latencey during peak periods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back