Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Office can't log onto Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhavard

IS-IT--Management
Mar 9, 2005
US
We have 2 offices. I just setup 2003 server in the main office and i am converting from a workgroup to a domain. I setup all of my users and I have the users at the main office logging into the domain no problem. but when i go to our remote office i can ping the server fine but can't setup the user's computer to log into the domain. is there something I am missing?

Are you running DNS on your domain controller? Can you ping the main site DC by name, IP, or both?

What error message do you get when you try to add a remote PC to the domain?

Thanks,
Andrew

Manually set the DNS on your client to include the DNS server for your domain. Also remember that NetBios is not routable. If you are typing in "MyDomain" as the domain and you are on a different subnet, it's not going to happen unless you have set up a WINS server and have your client using it. Type in the FQDN of your domain (i.e. MyDomain.com) instead.

What surprises me is Microsoft wants us only use DNS but makes "use NetBios over TCP/IP" the default.

A+/MCP/MCSE/MCDBA

Ok, to the first reply I can't ping by the name but only IP. The error I receive says there may be a dns problem. In reguards to the second reply we use external DNS servers from our ISP on all machines. Does this mean I will need to setup DNS on the local network for this to work? Hopefully I am not confusing anything.

You might actually get away with using your router / default gateway as the DNS. It will then transfer outside dns requests and also still be able to resolve internally

Active directory cannot function without setting up a DNS server. During the setup of AD, a DNS server was configured on that machine.

You cannot use the DNS server your ISP uses because it has no reference to your computer names.

First, verify that DNS is up and running on the Domain controller you setup. Next, on your remote machine, manually input the IP address of your controller. After doing so, you should be able to ping any computer including the server by name. Second, you should create a forwarding reference inside of your DNS server to point to the IP address of your ISP DNS. This allows all unresolved name requests to be forward to your ISP because any unresolved requests should be for outside internet traffic.

Hope this helps and points you in the right direction

I do understand what you are saying now....I do have everything setup except the dns on the client to point to my server. i will try that.

after i resolve this issue does anyone know of a good forum on converting form static to dhcp address? i feel it's pretty simple as to setting up the range on the server and setting the client to dhcp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back