Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote (network) viewing of an Irix 4Dwm desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGamboa

Programmer
Mar 18, 2002
US
Hi, folks:

I'm trying to set up a central (Linux-based) management console for the various machines on my network. I've managed to obtain, install, configure, and operate the VNC server to start both Gnome and TWM sessions on an older Challenge L server that's part of the network.

What I wanted to ask about has to do with configuring VNC's xstartup script to launch a standard 4Dwm session, so as to view a conventional, Irix look & feel desktop session. I can launch 4Dwm and toolchest in the script, but I'm left without control of desktop settings (background, screen saver, etc.). Is there something else that I need to start up in order to enable this functionality? I was thinking that 4Dwm managed it by itself, but apparently I was mistaken...

Also, is it possible to render DGL views on a VNC server, to be viewed with a non-DGL (e.g., Linux) VNC viewer? If so, how's it done?

Thanks for any help.

- Roby Gamboa

Stage 2: I found out that you can modify VNC's xstartup to run /var/X11/xdm/Xsession, which kicks off 4Dwm and the user's desktop session. Fine.

New problem: anyone know of a clean-room implementation of DGL for non-SGI Unices? Any GL-using applications signal a dgl-not-supported error on the client console, indicating that the X server that VNC is using to display the desktop is not DGL capable.

Alternately, is there a different Irix X server that supports OpenGL/Mesa?

Thanks for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back