Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Network Access...help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

davetherave100

Technical User
May 14, 2002
GB
At present we have a windows 2000 network at our main site and we are attempting to set up a link to our remote sites.
The remote site had a NT4 network. We have put the pc's onto 2000 and are wanting to connect them to our main site network.
We are using a satellite link from an isp (who havent been too good at helping us connect up. Basically they have told us how to open up ports for ipsec and pptp, so now it is left with us to set the rest up.
So my questions are.
1 Can a machine on a remote site log on to our main site domain exactly as if it were connected directly to our network, and if so will it connect with a vpn dialup connection, rather than using the main domain name
2 If using a dialup then i pressume that a remote access server would be needed? ( we use isa server which i have configured for remote access)
3 Would we need a server at the remote site (either vpn or remote access)
Im quite confused about it all at the moment as VPN and remote access is new to us.
At present the machines at the remote site have internet access. I set up a dialup VPN connection on a pc and i got as far as it trying to connect to our main site but it told me that the user didnt have acces to dial in (thats when i decided to look at whether we needed a remote access server.
Hope i have described our set up well enough for someone to try and help with what we need.
Any help greatly appreciated

I don't know if this will help you or not but here it goes. If you have a server at your main site, as I assume you do, all you need to do is set up an account on that server and "Allow access" to that server from that profile. Then you need the WAN IP address to set up a connection at the remote site. After that connection is established you can access it through Remote Desktop with the IP address of the LAN. Another way to do this is to setup a virtual private connection, which is done through you ISP, to allow a direct connection to the domain of the main site. There is another software that can be used as well. Terminal Services is nice software to use to connect between domains, however Remote Desktop works great from a remote location and it comes standard on Me, 2000, and XP. If this isn't what you wanted to know let me know more detail. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back