Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remote mounting of tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

nandkumar4aix

Technical User
Dec 27, 2000
SG
hi
i hav three rs/6000 machines in the network out of which one is having a tape drive.
is it possible for me to take the backup of other two machines on the remote tape drive.
plz suggest me some steps that might be helpful to me in taking backup without attaching the tape drive lacally.

thanks
ragards
nan

Try the documentation for [tt]rmt[/tt] command.

I hope it works...

There are a few methods you can use to accomplish this.

First, you can NFS mount the filesystems that you want onto the system that has the tape drive installed and then create your backup.

Second, you can use a third party backup utility such as SYSBACK/6000, networker, BackupExec, IBM Adstar, etc....

Have Fun,
Chuck

Hi,

Open Microsystems sells product called DitribuTAPE which supports mksysb to a remote tape drive under AIX 3.2, 4.1 and 4.2. DidtribuTAPE supports remote tape drives by placing a psuedo tape driver on the client system, and a server daemon on the server. For More info pls. visit
Hope you have time to visit this....

What are you trying to back up? Are you trying to do a mksysb to a network tape drive or are you just backing up files (ie. tar or cpio)?

heyyy sstegh !!

i want to take the mksysb of the nodes on remote tape drives.
can u give some idea for that.
thanks
nan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back