Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote monitoring of internet use in real time

Status
Not open for further replies.

barriel41

Technical User
Feb 26, 2001
GB
I work in a college library as an IT technician. One of my problems is preventing "inappropriate" use of the internet, however I get fed up walking around checking on up to 50 PC's all day.

Does anyone know of any software (preferably freeware or shareware, as our budget has been cut this year!) which will allow me to monitor what web pages are being viewed on the library PCs from my administration PC. This would need to be available in real time so I can take suitable action as the misuse occurs.

Ideally I would like to be able to view the same page the student is viewing but, failing this, the URL details would be just as useful.

Barrie

I'm not positive, but I think MS proxy server capable of some of that. I think it will at least let you know what pages are being used and I think you can make some sites resticted too. It's not freeware but it comes with server cd if your already using that at all.
Been a couple years since I've used it.

For that sort of situation, try I-Gear.
It`s from urlabs, or you can find it at the symantec site
Takes a bit to setup but it can send you an e-mail when someone tries to access a blocked site.
also can do word search blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back