Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Manual Pages 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

singo

Programmer
Jun 17, 2001
AU
I have a network of RS6000 machines connected via TCPIP. Is it possible to use one of these machines as a server for AIX Manual Pages. eg. run the 'man' command on one of the node machines and it will retrieve the man info from the machine with man installed on it. If this is possible, how would I set it up?

Thankyou for any help entered.

you could set up some web pages that run man2html on the command you want and serve them out over http Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

can you explain a bit more please. the clients I have are not GUI. thanks.

You could try NFS exporting the directory containing the man pages, on 433 I think its /usr/share/man. Then mount the share on each client:

mount remoteserver:/remote/path /local/path.

We did it this way:

Copy the contents of the Base Documentation CD to a filesytem /infocd
smitty install
Software Maintenance and Utilities
Copy Software to Hard Disk for Future Installation

Set /infocd to be NFS exported to everyone, Read-Only

Mount your server:/infocd to you client:/infocd. Better to Automount.

There is a script on that Base Documentation CD that you will need to run to establish the link. Here's a Tech Doc on it.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

the answer is simple.

all you need to do is point the client AIX node to a server node that has two things:

1. web server installed and configured
2. complete installation of manual pages

to point your client node to the server node simply use the smitty fastpath web_configure. select to change the documentation and search server and enter the remote nodename of your server. use the default port as 80 as this is the default used for the web server.

remember, this update changes /etc/environment so dont forget to logoff and log back on before you try it.

enjoy.

mtbr,
Thankyou very much.

I have enabled an aix web server to give access to man pages to several aix clients. The man command does work from the clients but it takes about 3mins to come back with the info. Is there something I have to change in the httpd.conf file to speed this up. I have heard it should only take a few seconds. Thankyou.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back