Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

mofusjtf

IS-IT--Management
Apr 20, 2004
US
Is there a good (hopefully free) remote management software for Windows 2000 Pro?

if its on a local network, try VNC (google it)

If its something greater (like accessing a home machine from work, college etc) try LogMeIn.com

------------------------------------------------------
Matt
Life is all shadows and dust.
Live it up with women and wine while you can

I've heard of VNC but never used it. Any success stories?

its pretty good. do a search. there are several types, all free, and they run with minimal resources.

------------------------------------------------------
Matt
Life is all shadows and dust.
Live it up with women and wine while you can

Agreed on VNC. I installed it on our corporate computers so that no matter where the user is, they can hover over the VNC icon in the taskbard, tell me what their IP address is and then I can connect to them with the VNC viewer on my PC. Password protect the VNC client though - something that only your IT people know and make it a good password.

You don't want just anybody VNCing into the CEO's PC while he's in a meeting and reading his e-mail. That is a real possibility if anyone in IT is unscrupulous or if regular users get the VNC password - guard it like it's gold.

Also, set it up so that the server (on client's workstations) always starts up/runs as a service so it's always running when Windows starts. You can use it on a corporate network or even on people who are at home or in a hotel if they have a DSL or Cable connection when out of the office.

This is the one I always used - there are others.

I always used TightVNC. Used it in over 100 remote locations and never had a problem.

mpnut...do you have a way to manage VNC connection database (for lack of a better word) of connections so you can select a remote site and it will automatically connect?

FYI, one thing RealVNC does not work with is dual monitors. It will not force everything to one screen like RDP will do. Nothing major since most of my remote systems are single monitor.

I don't know about it running with dual monitors. I don't have any systems with that setup. As far as a connection database, TightVNC doesn't come with one, to my knowledge. What I use is an asp page with links to the sites. The link is just <b> I have to create a new one for each new site, but new ones only happen every so often.

a website would work great. I didn't even think of that. New ones are not a concern since I can switch any new XP or Vista (ugh) to RDP. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back