Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlongman

Technical User
Mar 5, 2002
US
I have a customer that does not have access to the INADS port on the PBX this is presenting and issue with dial up remote maintenance. Is it possible to administer the PBX using a modem connected to a 7400B Data Module? If so, what is the procedure.

Thanks

You could connect a modem to a PC on COM1. Run PC Anywhere so you can connect to the PC from remot. Then on COM2 have your data mod setup. That should get you going but it requires; Modem, Datamod, PC, PC software.

Good luck,

Ray

I haven't tried it myself, but a null modem cable (full handshaking preferrably) between the 7400B and a modem should work.

You may have to strap leads together to make it fully functional. Like I said, I haven't tried it.

As always, be EXTREMELY careful putting a modem on your switch. They are easy to find for anyone looking for them, and you only have userid/password protection.

And if you use PC Anywhere, please enable the security functions (V.8 and newer make this easier). Do things like disabling file transfer (you shouldn't need it, and if you do, you can turn it on each time you need it).

mgs

Hi Tlongman,

I would of thought an easier way would of been by using the SAT port on the switch. Trackers are ideal for this as they allow the sat to remain connected but alternatively you could just connect the modem straight to the Serial Port for the SAT.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back