Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

joehump

Technical User
Feb 11, 2003
US
What is the easiest and cheapest way to do remote maintenance on the IP Office? The modem cards are very costly for remoting into the system. Is there a way to call in without a modem if you have a PRI installed?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

you will need an ISDN modem, after you have that it is VERY EASY!. Another way is to get the client to give you a VPN to their site and then remotely VPN in and connect through Manager (after setting the correct IP address to look at)

oooh ISDN modem for you, not for IPO, the IPO autoamtically understands an ISDN modem call if you have your incoming call routes set up correctly

Or if you a have an IPO in our lab, connect that to an external line & programm a service to the remote IPO

in defaults you need the following settings in either Dialup netowrking (with an ISDN terminal Adaptor) or an internet service in the IPO

User Name:RemoteManager
Password:thepword (You should always change this!)
Telephone Number: Any valid number on the remote site

You also need to make sure theta the sopurce IP address is in the 192.168.99.x subnet.

If you have a large number of sites to maintain it is well worth Using an IPO @ H.O. for this

If you are using a voicemail server why dont you just install a modem card in the server. Connect the server to one of your analog ports if its an IP403 or IP406V2? I think its ridiculous that Avaya did away with the modem2 card and replaced it with a more expensive modem 12 card. I also heard but havent confirmed this but the first port on the 4 port analog card has modem capabilities.

I hope this helps

These are good ideas. I do have a system set up in a lab environment using analog extentions from a definity for my trunks. I will set up DIDs and see if I can get that to work. I will also try the vmpro modem.

Thanks

I vpn to the Network via my 4mb broadband and connect to the box.

in preferences you need to use the ip address of the box and then it will connect 255.255.255.255 wont work.

Otherwise we train clients on how to use the manager program and then they can send ys a config and i talk them through the changes. Also they know how to make basic changes.

You can also use Remote Desktop to the PC that manger is running on. You will need to open the correct ports in the firewall. and then use RDC to the public ip address. Then you do not need to have a seperate VPN for each client.

I have some clients with an IT Dept.In order to deal them in, I suggested Netmeeting. Every MS based computer has it, it is both free and super easy to use. I use the IP for the computer that manager and VM is on. Thing is, you need someone at the client end to allow you access. I sold this concept as a way for them to know, and actually watch what I am doing on their system. And it is faster than PC Anywhere and the like. The best part is that I have access to everything. I can also download, or send files through Netmeeting too. Consider it another option.

Gregger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back