Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote locations messed up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ntwrkrbkj

IS-IT--Management
Jun 2, 2003
Ok, all of a sudden today, my remote locations could no longer hear their caller.

I have 3 remotes linked in through BEFVP41 routers. Each location has a router, and their is a main BEFVP41 router at the HQ which is in turn, linked into a cisco 3661. Until today, it has worked like a champ, then all of a sudden, the people at the remotes could no longer hear the caller. However, the caller could hear the people at the remote. Nothing had changed on the network, nothing.

I powercycled, then ended up replacing the main BEFVP41. I troubleshot the SDSL itself with the ISP. I reloaded the 3661, cleared its NVRAM, powered it down, rebooted it, then reloaded the config. I reboot both Call Manager Servers.

I repeat, no configurations changed. The phones will ring, they will dial out, they will connect to an incoming call, but no matter what, the caller can't be heard. Calling with the CCM group still works fine, you can call the remotes and the remotes can call each other and everything works.

Any ideas?

A+, i-Net+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA

you have a routing issue..
hence the one way audio...
Check all your routes. put a pc on both voice subnets and see if you can ping between them.. or do a trace with a source of you voice subnet..

Yes, I can ping between both subnets. Hence why the HQ can still place perfect calls to the remotes and vice versa. The only thing I can think of then is that the 3661 is going bad, but what in the world would happen to it that the only thing affect are calls coming across the trunk?

Do you have any network address translation happening? The first thing I would suspect would be the Linksys devices... they have no place in a corporate infrastructure.

Yeah, they were the first thing I suspected, and you're right, they don't. However, they have been a very cheap solution and worked like an absolute charm until yesterday.

Being that it was the first thing I suspected, it was the first thing replaced. So, a brand new BEFVP41 configured exactly the same as the one that worked flawlessly for 4 months yields the same problem.

one way voice almost 99 percent of the time reflects a routing issue.. you have network connectivity between the remote phones and call manager.. Hence why you can "make prefect calls" ring and call setup is handled BY CCM wich souunds like is on a different subnet then your call manager...or someone added and acceslist or FW..

Ok, here is the thing, I agree 100% about the routing idea. However, if it was a routing issue, nothing would get across, the remotes would be cut off completely. If it has a route to get across from IP phones at the HQ, then it has a route to get across for the calls coming in on the PSTN. That is why I was so stumped.

Here is the answer though. After spending 2 1/2 hours on the phone with a CCM engineer, then spending 4 hours on the phone with a routing engineer, we came to this conclusion, none of us knew what the hell was happening. While the routing engineer had me on hold to confer with another voice engineer, I was browsing CCM, looking at the gateway (a 24+ digital access gateway, older stuff). I thought to myself, that was the only device I hadn't rebooted, but in the beginning, I didn't even mess with it other than to see it was up because if the gateway is screwed up, no calls come in from the PSTN.

Just for giggles, I restarted it. I was on teamspeak with a friend and had him call the IP phone at my house and the darn thing worked! All I needed to do was restart the gateway. When the engineer came back on the phone, I told her what had happened. She couldn't believe it either, but there you have it.

Thanks all for the help, as always I am appreciative of this group for helping me through my engineering growing pains.

Check to see if you have port forwarding turned on in the Linksys box at the remote site. I have used a similar setup as you, and the linksys box may be blocking the dynamic UDP port for the voice traffic. Try forwarding all the ports (0-65000) in the Linksys box to the IP Address of the IP phone at the remote, and see if that fixes the problem.

John

Thanks for the reply Conleyjo, but yeah, it isn't the port forwarding. You don't need to port forward on those boxes when accessing services across the VPN.

If you read my post above, I just needed to restart the digital access gateway :).

Oh, and by the way, if you want to forward all ports on a Linksys box, just DMZ the address of the node you want all ports to go to.

I am having a similar issue...

I have a cisco 2811 router and linksys wvr54g remote routers, tunnel is great, everything is fine, but I get one-way voice...

Did you have any other issues when you were setting up your solution that yielded one-way voice?

Thanks!!!

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back