Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote locating Modules via fiber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karlg

Technical User
Mar 25, 2001
US
I have recently taken over the responsibility for MACs at a manufacturing plant. Since the initial install almost a year ago, the plant has tripled in size. As a result, a 50 pair cable to a portion of the plant has been completely used and they need more extensions. The location is about 700 feet from the main server/phone room.

The plant is approximately 300ft by 1500 feet. There is a fiber backbone from the server/phone room to several data/phone cabinets. In all cases, there are dark fibers available for future use.

What I would like to know is if there is any way to use those fibers to remote locate a station module instead of running copper. Now that the plant is operational, there are conveyors and workstations in the way plus 40 foot ceilings.

If anyone has done this, I would appreciate knowing how it worked.

Thanks.

Thanks

If this works, it will save me a lot of work.

Karl

I am using 2 of these units and they are working great... One recommendation would be to put a UPS on them.

Thank you for the tip.

With the data cabinet at the same location, the ups is already there.

Karl

since each module (16 sets) with the mck extender requires two fibers you could quickly use up what fibers you have available for spares. you might find it more cost effective to run a 50 or 100 pair cable and then be set for a while. check it out both ways and I think you will probably run more pairs. JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

I gave that some thought when the idea first came to mind. There are 6 strands to the area right now with two in use.
They have alot more data capabillity at that location than they are likely to use in the forseeable future. We can always put in more copper at a later time.

The idea for the extenders is more appealing because of the machinery that is installed between the two points. Additionally, the extenders can be installed and have them up an running a lot quicker than the cable can be installed.

Thanks for the input.

Karl

I have one of these DS-30's and it works great. It's about 1000ft from the PBX. I think I paid $1200 for the extender. The only problem I use to have was when the power went out at the far location. I put a small UPS on it and it works great. I fyou need to find a someone to buy it from let me know.

The Module EXTender for Fiber is a multi-user customer premises equipment (CPE) designed to extend Norstar-hosted features over multi-mode fiber connections. Workers using the Module EXTender can access the corporate voicemail, ACD, and other Norstar features up to 1.9 miles from the main office. Available as compact surface- or wall-mount, Module EXTenders can be used in on or more offices in a campus or multi-floor environment

You say $1200? Is that for the pair?

Since my initial post, I was informed that they need C.O. lines at the location as well. So, it looks like the fiber is going to win out. But, the fiber still remains an option for other sites.

Karl

I realize I'm bringing up an old topic but I and faced with a similar situation to this one and had a few questions. One of my sites is adding an whole new building with the wiring closets about 1000 feet apart. The current plan is to put a whole new 0X32 in the new building but I believe that there arn't enough extensions in the new building to justify this. The old building has an MICS with fiber expansion ports open that could be used for a fiber station module. Is there a really long Nortel fiber cable that I could run between the two buildings to connect a station module? I have also been told by a vendor that there is a maximum length the copper can be before digital stations will not work so connecting them by copper is out of the question. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for all your help
Bower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back