Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Installation Service Will Not Start

Status
Not open for further replies.

lefty78

IS-IT--Management
May 29, 2002
US
There are three services related to RIS, they are Boot Information Negotiation Layer, Single Instance Storage Groveler, and Trivial FTP Daemon. None of these services will start. When I try to start the TFTP service I get a generic error message that states there is a device attached to my system that is not functioning properly. I guess (unless there is someone who knows the solve to this) my first step is to find out what device the TFTP service is referring to. I have checked, checked, and checked again and I cannot seem to find a single conflicting, misinstalled, or dysfunctional part in my system.

BLAH

Is there a program, batch file, or some type of executable or watch device that will monitor or record the loading process of the TFTP service (or any service for that matter) so that I can find exactly what device is causing the service to fail?

A good example of what I would like to have is a program that will load the service like the "step by step" loading windows 9x can do

still no takers?? I guess I will write this up as a valid problem....

please help me, I dont want to reinstall

Do you have the ris server activated in DHCP? If not then ris wont start.

What have you done so far to setup the RIS server.

I think what futuretech is referring to is Athourizing RIS in DHCP. Once authorized the PXE boot/or rbfg.exe boot will detect the DHCP/TFTP boot and be directed to the RIS server. Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

All was well with the RIS server. I rolled out over 20 client machines with it. I had no use for the service for about a year and then a new employee required the rollout. When I attempted to connect via the network, the new client machine hung up. I went to the server and found that the services that control the RIS were not activating. These three services are listed above in my initial post. I also have an exclamation point next to the 'wan miniport' in my device manager, dont know if this is related, but I cannot remove it or update it because I get the error 'device is related to the boot process cannot remove'. How can I check to see if the RIS is still activated in DHCP?

To check the authorization, connect to the DHCP console and right click on the DHCP icon and then click manage autorized Servers. Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

On another note.

You can save the images, simply move the route folder the images are in and then uninstall RIS. Unauthorize it in AD and reboot the machine.

Once that is done, reinstall the RIS server, authorize it in DHCP and copy the images back to the images folder.

Try the roll out again.

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Ok, I thought you were stating that there would be a listing for an authorized RIS server. The DHCP server IS authorized and functioning fine. There is NO listing in the said box for a RIS server, it just lists by <ip_address>/<server_name>/DHCP. Yes my server is authorised in DHCP, by both of its adapters

I feel dumb, but, unauthorize in AD?

When you authorize it in DHCP you are inadvertently authorizing it in Active Directory.

When you click Manage Authorized Servers and select your RIS server you should have the option to unauthorize it. You need to see your sever in the DHCP Manage console, for it to be authorized. Is the server that RIS is installed on listed?

If, on the nic that DHCP is enable, the the server is a CLIENT to DHCP and not necessarily authorized in DHCP. Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Yes both nics on the RIS server are authorized in DHCP

The RIS SERVER needs to be authorized in DHCP. The nics are clients to the DHCP, but the RIS SERVER needs to be authorized in DHCP...

Go to the DHCP server in Admin tools, right click the DHCP, left click Manage Authorized Servers...

If your RIS server is listed then it is authorized

If your RIS server is not listed then click Authorize and submit the RIS servers ip or Computer Name. Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Thank you, that is definitely done already.

The RIS server is authorized. THere is something that dissallows the startup of the services listed in my first post.

Click Start>Run>Risetup>Check for errors, and lrt the server determine the errors and means to corect them. Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

This is an OLD thread, but I am starting it back up. I have since installed a seperate RIS server and all is fine there. For knowledge purpose, I want to fix the server in question. Any help??

any information I might add?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back