Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote i2004, no audio to other i2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsaad

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2002
US
I have i2004 phones are set up remotely over a Cisco 503 PIX VPN. I can call from an i2004 to a t7316e fine and vice versa. But I cannot get any audion on a call from one remote phone to another remote phone. I have yet to try a remote i2004 to an i2004 at the BCM 400 4.0, but I will asap.

But I need to figure out how to get a remote i2004 to successfully call another remote i2004.

Since it's over a VPN there shouldn't be any issue regarding open ports, right?

You need to enable tunnel-to-tunnel routing. During the call setup stage, signaling is between the BCM and the IP Phone so you are dealing with each tunnel separately. Once the call is established, voice packets try to go directly from one IP Phone to the other IP Phone.

ok, tunnel to tunnel routing, this is something to be done in the Cisco VPN units i guess. Is there anything more specific I can give to the WAN guy so we can get this work?

Many thanks!!!

You don't need to be more specific other than perhaps the subnets at each remote site.

We have the same issue at our 20 remote locations all with I2004 phones. It just isn't sustainable to set up VPN tunnels and maintain them from each location. Is there a short list of which firewalls have tunnel to tunnel routing available? Would this need to be enabled on both the main site and the remote site routers? Or could this just be enabled at the primary firewall?

Any assistance is appreciated.

First, don't try this with consumer grade rubbish.

Central site can be a PIX or VPN router. Remote sites can be PIXes or VPN Routers or BSR's

The central site (if VPN Router 10X0 or 11X0) will need the Stateful Firewall key and 30 Tunnels expansion key.

At the central site, build the appropriate tunnel for each remote. In the statefull firewall, allow tunnel to tunnel traffic.

If you use BSR's at the remote sites, you will need to build an IP policy which has ALL other subnets as remote networks (and you will have to do this at the central site too otherwise the tunnel will never come up due to a network mis-match).

It's not too difficult provided you understand the concepts and take your time and map it out before diving in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back