Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Gateway 9150 & DSCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

gv82

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2007
We have a 9150 setup at a remote branch. I'm working with the network team to configure QoS over the wide area network. We noticed that the IP traffic leaving the 9150 is marked with DSCP value 0. I just read through the 9150 manual and I don't see any reference to DSCP. Is there no way to set DSCP to 46 (DSCP 46 = EF = "Expedited Forwarding)?

All Nortel IP phones mark IP traffic at DSCP 46 by default. The network devices check this value to determine what priority to give to each Ethernet frame.

The network team can remark the value from 0 to 46, but it would be nice to keep the network configuration standard and configure the correct marking on the 9150.

The 9150 is default at setup to send the IP string with EF. I've seen network switches that change it at the port the 9150 is plugged into. If you plug the 9150 into an unmanaged switch, you'd see the string marked EF.

If you're not changing it at the port level, and the 9150 is truly sending it out as 0, then I'd suggest you have a faulty 9150.

hskrdean,

Thank you for this information. Do you happen to know of any documentation that would state something along these lines? The reason I ask is because the vendor I'm working with will likely as for evidence the system should be marking the traffic as EF.

Just to share a little about our setup, we have Cisco switches in this particular office. They are set to "trust" DSCP values. When looking at the DSCP register counters on the switch, the only traffic we see is DSCP 0 traffic. For test purposes, we asked the office to setup an IP phone on that switch to see if we could see EF marked traffic. The port to which we connected the phone did in fact show EF traffic in the DSCP register counter.

Diffserv also has to be enabled on the 9150 using its Configuration Manager. Under the IP Configuration tab, enable DiffServ CodePoint, and choose what you want to tag with (default is EF).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back