Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote file copy

Status
Not open for further replies.

oisnds

Technical User
Mar 25, 2004
US
I can't find a command similar to Novel's "NCOPY" command for Microsoft, can anyone help? We are staging files to Microsoft servers over a period of time due to the size of the files. When it comes time to make them available we copy the files to the expected location on the server. I can do this using RDP but when we have to support about 100 servers this will be very time consuming. What I need is a way to script a remote copy command. Note while I have access to the servers, I can't install software (services) on them or change their configuration. Thanks for your time.

Try ROBOCOPY from the Windows Resource kit which should cover your requirements. There is nothing to install and can be scripted via batch files easily

itsp1965 and technome,

I don't think that Robocopy will solve the problem. Novell's Ncopy works like Xcopy but does not traverse the network when copying the files within the server. Using RDP I can do a local copy on the server to the same effect. What I really want is to connect to the server and do a local copy on that server from the command line (scripted). Speed is important since we are talking about somewhere around 50 megabytes on a tight schedule. That is the reason for staging the files on the servers. I can do what I want using RDP, it's just tedious. Thanks for your suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back