Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote file check across LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

suntsu

Programmer
Aug 26, 2001
Hi all,

Hoping that someone can point me in the right direction?

I need to check the file version of a specific file on all of our PCs (that are online at that time); c:\windows\system32\msgina.dll and generate a text file of the results

Does anybody know of an app that could automate my searching?

Thanks,
David

Are you using login scripts? If so get it to generate one thru that. If you want to parse it to a single file tho make sure that you do something like this ">> filename.txt"

I am trying to work out the exact commands and at the moment all I could think of was doing a DIR on the specific file "dir c:\windows\system32\msgina.dll" which would give you the specific size, unfortunately that would mean you having to know for sure the sizes of all the specific files.

you might be able to do a remote registry search, which lists the file version, build date, etc. it doenst list the file size, but version is what you seem to need.

on my pc, the reg key that contained the info was:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP2\KB835732\Filelist\20

which did correspond to the actual file under \system32.

maybe a tool like this would help:

otherwise, maybe some network gurus know of a lan management tool that can also do the job in an easier fashion.

Thanks for the help guys.

Simon, I want to avoid using any login scripts (the rollout of the hotfix is being pushed to each machine via GPO), all I want to do is verify each machine that now has the update so that I can move the computer account to the correct OU in Active Directory.

jimp56, that's for the suggestion - unfortunately unless I can select 100+ machines simultaneously to scan for the correct key then I think I'm as well using explorer to connect to each machine e.g. \\laptopXXX\c$\windows\system32\ then manually checking the DLL on each machine.

I've spent a little time trying to build a script, although I'm very rusty with dos.

This is what I have so far, although needs to be modified so that it

FOR %i%=1 to 200
REM CHECK FOR LIVE CONNECTION
SET CONNECTED=YES
PING LAPTOP%i% | FIND "TTL=" > NUL
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 NEXT (can't find that PC try next)
ELSE
NET USE Z: \\LAPTOP%i%\windows\system32
z:
(code help) Write computer name >> Laptops.txt
dir msgina.dll >> c:\temp\HotFix\Laptops.txt (this will give the file size which will be sufficient)
NET DISCONNECT Z: (disconnect the mapped drive)
NEXT (Loop to next laptop number)
END

I've got the logic there, just don't know the batch code for the chunk of it.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back