Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote extension without MBG or teleworkers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

voipneerd

Vendor
Mar 12, 2012
SA
Dear all
Can I have a remote extension (sip or mitel phone)connect with 3300 with out using the MBG or teleworkers .
I've a real ip address

Best regards

Even if you can, I wouldn't recommend it.

Too many security concerns.

MBG is relatively cheap and it works, don't compromise security for $

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

Many thanks kwbmitel for your response.
But I need for testing and for one extension .

Hope any one can help me on this matter

Regards
Alaa

Dear
First you need to test the sip phone or software on you company lan cable or WiFi LAN, where the ICP3300 is connected to the same LAN. and if its work you can test for out side connection.

And For connection from anywhere via internet, . the 3300 need to be accessible via the internet so some ports would need to be opened and forwarded to the ICP3300 on your company's router.

Agree with KwbMitel, MBG is best solution, fit for purpose.

Have tried 53xx handsets and SIP softphones thru various VPNs (IPSEC tunnels), that generally operate with poor voice quality results and 53xx handsets tend to fail / lock up regularily because of instability of broadband circuits compared to 100MB/GIG backbone.

I suppose if you setup port forwarding in your firewall and had all the right ports opened you could get a phone to run remotely. If security is a concern ( which it should be ) then a VPN might be an option. You can run a remote phone anywhere you have network connectivity to the LAN where the MCD is located. This would be via a VPN into the corporate network. As others suggest it is not the best method but it will most likely work. I have seen Cisco phones running in this manner.

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

Many thanks all for your suppourt and suggestions.

But any one can help me in the the port required to be opened.

Regards

I'm not sure if the Mitel will support NATing, even if you forward all the correct ports I don't think it will work. I have not tried though.

could you not use a VPN into the network then run a SIP client?

Using VPN does work but I only did it for one customer as a temporary fix until the cable company connected their sites together via fiber. Until then I used a VPN via a PTP T1. A VPN on normal broadband will have issues but if it's just one phone for testing, you might be able to live with it.

If you use a VPN, you don't need to port forward anything that I'm aware of for it to work. At least I don't remember doing any.

"The only problem with common sense is that it's not that common

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back