Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhowley58

Programmer
Jun 25, 2001
US
Hi,

I've downloaded the RD and it works well - just like in XP Pro. However, I can only login to the remote server as the administrator. Is it necessary to purchase the Terminal services licences etc in order to allow non administrators to log in remotely?

Thanks,

John

No, just add the user login accounts to the Remote Desktop Users group.

John

I tried what JBarnett suggested bit I could not recognize a 'Remote Desktop Users Group'.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

I want to connect as a remote desktop to a user account(not administrator) on a win2000 server via a dial in connection.

As a ploy to obviate buying lots of terminal services licences, is this really possible?

John

Please fine "As a ploy to obviate buying lots of terminal services licences".

If you're trying to circumvent licensing issues, you're on the wrong web site.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

lander215, I am not sure that a ploy is involved.

Quoting MSFT
Microsoft's desktop operating system products (including Windows XP and Windows 2000 Professional) do not have a "built-in" Terminal Services CAL. Rather, the Windows 2000 server issues machines running Windows 2000/XP Professional with a “free” Terminal Services CAL from its built-in pool (and its use is permitted under the Windows 2000 Server EULA). Windows XP Professional is a successor to Windows 2000 Professional, and as a result does not need a Terminal Services CAL to access a Windows 2000 Server running Terminal Services.

I still think John Barnett's comment is correct in its essential points:

. add the user account to the remote TS server as a valid remote user;

. on the local machine, have the identical username and password as a local account. Log in as that account, and use the RD client. Normally your cached logon would handle this.

Thanks for you help bcastner,

AS for lander 215's: 'If you're trying to circumvent licensing issues, you're on the wrong web site' -

I am not trying to cheat(circumvent) anything mate. Just trying to exploit what is included in the standard software.

John

Lets not pick on laner215. Terminal services licenscing is one of the truely obscure points of the entire Windows product line.

It depends on what mode you have set the Terminal Server in. If its in Remote Administration mode you will only be able to access it via an Administrator account. If its in Application mode then others can log on to the Server as a Terminal Server in order to use applications. The only thing with Application mode and Terminal Services is if you are trying to connect to a Domain Controller. No one other than an administator can log on to a domain controller by default. I believe there is a setting in Group Policy that needs to be change to allow other users to log on to a domain controller (Otherwise only admins can log in). Logging on to a terminal server is like physically going to that computer and trying to log in to it. Have you ever tried to log on to a Domain Controller with a user account. It will give some you do not have the right to log on locally error. Please let me know if this information helps.

Acquisitive_One
MCSA, A+

Acquisitive - 1. Characterized by a strong desire to gain and possess. 2. Tending to acquire and retain ideas or information :)

A couple of things here.

The Remote Users Group is a Windows Server 2003 group, not 2k.

If the server is in Remote Administration, then only members of the local or domain admins groups will be able to log into the server. (all administrative groups).

If the server is in Application or user mode, then it will need to have a CAL installed in 60 days (IIR).

On Windows Server 2003, the temp license lasts for 120 days, but you can add other users to the remote users group when it is in remote administration mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back