Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPig

Technical User
Dec 3, 2003
GB
'lo all,

How powerful is Remote Desktop, and how much control does it give you over the Desktop your controlling?

Does it show EVERYTHING that happens on that desktop, pop-ups and all?

Thanks

wildwilly,
Yes.

Your daughter's remote site may need to forward port 3389 if behind a router.

I think I'll stick with RD for now...

So, to go back to what bcastner posted, I can set a different port for every computer on the network, and then connect directly to that computer by using the appropriate port number?

What port numbers can/can't I use?

I would stay away from the traditional ports used for HTTP, FTP, etc.

There is no reason not to use ports 3389, 3390, 3391, etc.

Remember you will have to create a port forwarding entry at the router so that the assignment of port to each local machine is mapped properly.

MrPig...

VNC is too easy to install and setup. You can do it with one eye closed and sitting on your hands!

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

Sorry to drag this one up again...

BUT

It is possible to remotely control another computer using XP Home? And can XP Home remotely control an XP Pro machine?

I think that's all I need to know for now..

Yes, any windows 9x and up (including xp home) os can control an XP pro machine. This is assuming, of course, that the client software has been installed and that the XP pro machine is setup to allow such control. In fact, XP home should already have the client software installed, so it's just a matter of making the connection.

Sorry for the delays (again)

Change of plan - the computer that'll be remotely controlled will now be the only one (no longer on a LAN) - so, would I just have to allow it access or still forward a port?

And - if I want print something out from the remotely controlled PC, is it possible to make it print on a printer connected to the PC doing the controlling?

a1. If it is directly connected to the internet, you do not need to worry about port forwarding through a router. You may have to tell your firewall software to permit traffic on 3389 TCP.

a2. To make your local printer available in a session
In the Remote Desktop Connection window, click Options.

On the Local Resources tab, under Local devices, click Printers.
Click Connect.

Darn.. you're clever.

Ta Muchly to all that have answered my questions, I think I know all I need to now...

Question on this.

Does remote desktop support a dual video enviroment? I've researched Microsoft and played with settings and haven't come up with anything so far.

Any ideas?

You mean if the remote Host has dual video, but the local client does not?

Or the case where both have dual video?

It is an interesting question(s). Let me as Microsoft.

The answer: "Not currently... This isn't supported in RDP (the protocol that Remtoe Desktop/Terminal Services uses)"

Best,
Bill

Thanks for the response, I guess PCAnywhere will have to do for now.

Best Regards,

Michelle

This may not be specifically what this thread is about. If so, gently let me know and I will begin a different thread. <smile>

I have a wireless (belkin) network (I will call the computers A,B,C) set up in my home. I wish to be able sit at computer A and execute an application which resides on computer B with the data I enter being stored on computer B. AND ... ideally be able to do this while someone else is logged in (XP Professional OS) on computer B.

Possible ? If so, what is your recommendation for the software that will allow me to do this ?

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back