Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kendel

Programmer
Apr 24, 2002
US
Hi all:

Does anyone know how to set up the "Remote Desktop" on a Window 2000 Server so that I can remotely access to it?

Many Thanks.

Kendel

I know this can be done because I used remote desktop to access the Window Server from my last job.

all remote desktop is is acut down version of terminal services, if you set up the 2k server as a terminal server for remote controll, you would be able to use remote desktop to access it, same vise versa, if you set up the xp stations to accept remote desktop connections you could use terminal services client from the server and remote the xp stations

HTH
Marc

and how do I set it up?

Thanks.

Marc, thank you for the input.

quoted form
How to install Remote Desktop Connection client

Remote Desktop Connection Software can be installed on any of the following operating systems: Windows 95, Windows 98 and 98 Second Edition, Windows Me, Windows NT® 4.0, or Windows 2000 to remotely connect to a computer running Windows XP Professional with Remote Desktop enabled and MS Terminal Server.

The Remote Desktop Connection software is pre-installed with Windows XP. To run it, click Start>All Programs>Accessories>Communications>Remote Desktop Connection. This software package can also be found on the Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Home Edition product CDs and can be installed on any supported Windows platform. To install from the CD, insert the disc into the target machine's CD-ROM drive, select Perform Additional Tasks, and then click Install Remote Desktop Connection. You can also down it from

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network and How to at

Kendel,

Go to Control Panel
Select Windows Components
Scroll down to Terminal Server (there is no need to install terminal server licensing, just install terminal server)
Select Remote Admin Mode
Reboot your server

You can have 2 concurrent connections on the server, with the need to purchase additional licenses.

Kendel,

Forgot to mention, the above instructions need to be done on the server not on the client.

Thank you EmadT, that's what I need. Here is a star for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back