Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenLegge

Technical User
May 25, 2003
GB
Is it possible to have a Win 2000 pro machine set up as a host for remote desktop. I e can i access this machine remotly or does it only work with winxp

Windows 200 uses terminal server, Remote Desktop is for XP.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

You can't set up your Windows 2000 Pro machine as a terminal server, this is only for W2K server products.

ok can u tell me how to install terminal services on a 2000 profesional o/s because i can only work out how to do it on 2000 server o/s

I dont know if this is an option for you, but I use pcAnywhere to connect to all of my computers remotely. The program has an easy to use interface, and is extremely reliable. You only need to run a host of the computer u are trying to connect to, and you have the options of using a Cable or a phone line to connect with.

Justin

I have used WinVNC successfully. If you are behind a firewall/router you'll need to do some tweaking but in enables full access to a remote PC or a broadcast of a desktop/application.

Product is made by ATT UK and is freeware.

Hope this helps.

Go to:
dsdurkes

i am using VNC too, and it is working good. Try it

Once you have terminal services installed on your server, go to your W2K professional machine. Open C:\program files\terminal services client\setup\setup.exe. If choose remote admin option you do not need additonal licenses.

This will only install the TS client on your W2K Pro machine. You CANNOT install TS Server on W2K Pro!

VNC users - the product is fast and FREE, but I strongly advise NOT using it across the Internet as it is NOT SECURE.

We don't even use it across a VPN, although this should be secure.

And just to re-emphaise, W2K Pro canonly run Terminal Server client, the TS Server must run on a W2K server.

RosieBsDad

VNC is as (un)secure as anything else over the internet.
It all comes down to limiting what IP can use the services.

how we can install Terminal Server client seprately, i mean i installed W2k Pro and now i want to install Terminal Server client, how i do this...?

Several options, but CHECK THE LICENSING!

1. If you have Terminal Server installed [on a server, as discussed previously] there is a TS Client folder created by default (can't remember the exact location, but trust me, it exists). Run the Setup from there.

2. If you have XP, the Remote Desktop Connection software(effectively an updated TS client) is on the CD

3. The TS client can still be downloaded from MS web site I believe, but not checked this recently.

RosieBsDad

On my server its installed and it ok but i do not have following on my machine

C:\program files\terminal services client\setup\setup.exe

so how can install it now...? while its not on web too...

By default, its found here:

C:\WINNT\system32\clients\tsclient\win32\disks\disk1\setup.exe

Just put this line in your Run box, click Ok, and the install should start.

wel still i do not have that...can i find it on the Win 2K Prof. CD...?

Article is also realy very helpfull

If you haven't already done so, you need to install adminpak.msi on W2K Pro machine. This is available on the Windows 2000 Server and Windows 2000 advanced server CD.

Here is a link to a good article that will explain how to install adminpak.msi. as well as the different tools that are avaialble for server administation. It explains how to install the tools including terminal services client.

fantastic... it installed and it works good but here one question

id i login with domain it shows all servers and i can do any thing on my server but if i log in as this computer it shows all server but not connecting the servers. is any configration i need for that....?

i have admin privelages on all servers and on my workstation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back