Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildWest

Programmer
Apr 2, 2002
US

Does anyone know how to perform a remote desktop session without loggin off the current session logged in remotly???

Are you talking about terminal services?

~Shmoes

I lay claim to nothing and everything. My words may be wisdom or disaster. In the end you make a choice. Noone is perfect.

A RD connection will log off the local user - if that's what you're asking.

Yes...I want it to be like terminal services. Can I install TS on Win XP Pro??? Is there a hack out there to make it work without logging off the remote session in the Win XP Pro environment??? Thanks for helping.

if you logon using remote desktop as the same user who is currently logged on locally, then it will not log off the user. It will simply present a locked screen to the local user, and allow you access. Any attempt to log on as a different user will result in the local user being logged off.

By the way, Remote Desktop is Terminal Services.......

Scotsdude[bravo]
Help us help you - let us know when our insane scribblings help!!

Your thinking like that of the remote access within a server. You have to remember that Server allows 2 TS sessions, XP allows only 1.

If you want control without kicking off the user then use remote assistance.

Tez

Women are like computers, you have to press a button to turn them on.

Hi,

does anybody know if there's a possibility within Win XP Remotedesktop to let the user on the remote controlled computer see what the remote-admin is doing? Perhaps a Registry-modification? If RD is TS then it should (technically) be able to do this.

Thx!

Doela

Remote Assistance

Tez

Women are like computers, you have to press a button to turn them on.

Hi Tez,

you mean remote assistance over the win messenger? This doesn't work in our firm. When I agree to a request the system tries to open up a session to the client computer, but it won't go further than the "Establishing a connection" screen. Do you know any reasons for such a behaviour?

Thx

Doela

Check firewall settings internally on your XP boxes...

Win XP comes with a useless, semi automatic built-in firewall. Running network related wizards can turn it on/off, whatever DON'T suit you... :)

You need to make some entries in your router. Start with some client-side updates for both clients:

Microsoft Directx 9.0a
A new version of Messenger
Install the uPnP client service. (Add/Remove Programs, Windows Components, Networking, uPnP, apply)

Then enable uPnP on the router.

If you're running a local desktop and a terminal service remote client, you can run both at the same time. If you want to run terminal services, you need to enable Terminal services on your server (this can take quite a load, so check the min requirements before doing so.) then you will need to install the client software on the client. You can use the TS client creator to make the install disks for the client.

~Shmoes

I lay claim to nothing and everything. My words may be wisdom or disaster. In the end you make a choice. Noone is perfect.

For full remote control during remote assistance, make sure you check -->My Computer, Properties, Remote tab, Remote Assistance Advanced button.

so the bottom line is that it's impossible to NOT kick off or freeze the remote session using Remote desktop on Win XP Pro...right??? No registry hacks allow this to work right??? I know the remote session will not freeze or kick off the session on Win2K Server and Terminal Srvices nut RD and WinXP Pro are impossible right???

Hi WildWest,

yep, I think unfortunately, this is the bottom line...and because of the W2k Server story, I think what Tez said:

"Your thinking like that of the remote access within a server. You have to remember that Server allows 2 TS sessions, XP allows only 1."

...this is the reason, why it works on the Server OS, but not on the WS.

Regards,

Doela

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back