Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

riddock55

IS-IT--Management
Dec 15, 2007
GB
HI,

Strange one this..We have 2 domains joined together by frame relay..Both can access everyhting else on the others network.

Our network is a windows 2000 domain. I have just added a windows 2003 DC.. Its in the DC's OU so is getting the same group policies as the 2000 DC..

The problem is although I can remote desktop the new server from the LAN, it cannot be remoted into from the other domain either by name or IP, where as all the servers can be.

Im sure its something simple but any ideas?

Cheers

Is port 3389 open on the router on the remote network where the new server resides?

yeah, every other server can be cinnected to from the remote network...

Im thinking it Must have something to do with it being 1st 2003 server in a 2000 mixed domain?

Have you checked that Remote Desktop is enabled under the Remote Tab in the System Properties and that Windows Firewall on the W2K3 is not blocking the service?

Steve G (MCSE / MCSA:Messaging)

Yes remote desktop is enabled , although "select users" tab is grayed out..but I can remote form the LAN so that must not matter..

Windows Firewall isnt active.

Thanks

Do you have Terminal Services installed?

yes, I can remote the server from the internal netwrok. It is from the other domain, but all the other servers are fine from there. Its just this one.

Its doing my head in, Im sure I will kick myself when I find out why.

So both TS/RDP servers are on the same WAN? Going through the same router/firewall? If so you need to change the listening port on one of the TS servers to another port, and allow it through the firewall(both hardware, and software).

Is both the domain AND forest functional levels set to 2000 mixed? I'm not sure if this is your problem, but it seems to me if you can use RD locally and not elsewhere, it may be a functionality problem. If it's not already, try to raise it.

Brad L. - MCP

"If the doctors told me I had 5 minutes to live, I would type faster.

Have you done any type of sniffing the network traffic to ensure that the RDP request is getting to the server/leaving the router bound for the server? Sometimes Wireshark can give you some great information troubleshooting these type of "network" issues.

I agree with tfg13. This is more of a network issue than a Windows 2003 issue, since the server can be RDP'd into from the local lan. Packets are getting dropped at either the local or remote router to that particular server. Not sure of your network steup, but maybe one of the routers has an access list that RDP packets are only allowed to the IP Addresses of the old servers and you need to add the address of the new server to that access list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back