Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgrepo

IS-IT--Management
Jul 11, 2007
US
I have a Windows 2003 server that was recently upgraded from 2000. After upgrading we lost the ability to remote desktop into the server. The allow remote users is checked and the server seems to be functioning properly. Internet works, browsing to other servers on the network is fine.

What error do you get?

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

The client could not connect to the remote computer" is the message.

I added my user account to the profiles and check all the connections to the network and Internet.

Is this a member server or a DC? If member, add your domain admin accounts to the local remote desktop users group.

Tried to start the services manually. I got an error message "could not start the terminal server services on this local computer"

ERROR2: The server could not locate the specific file

Sounds like your upgrade went bad. TS is installed in admin mode by default on 2003.

Several years ago I took some very good classes on Windows. One of the things they stressed was to never upgrade, always install from scratch. It usually ends up being less work and stress in the long run.

It also is a good justification for new hardware. ;-)

90% of the time when dealing with new OS I do get new hardware and install from scratch, however due to the nature of this particular machine I was forced to upgrade instead of starting from scratch. Do we have any other work arounds other than starting over and having to reinstall the critical appications (hours to re-insatll and configure).

Try reinstalling TS and then uninstalling it. Maybe that will reset the files you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back