Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebase

MIS
Jan 7, 2004
US
Hello all,

I was wondering if there was a way to be able to start up two programs upon start up of connection to Remote Desktop. I am able to set one program fine but would like to start up two and could not find a way to do so. I thought some sort of seperator like a comma would maybe distinguish it from being two different programs but no luck. Is this even possible?

Thanks in advance,
Kei

Create a link in the Start Menu/All Programs/Startup/ folder of the Remote machine, for each application.
When you log on, the startup sequence will run whatever is in that folder, that is unless the User was already logged in, in which case they will not run.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Thanks vacunita. I set it up so the first Remote Desktop session starts up another Remote Desktop Session using the 'Program' tab and on the second session, I added the application in the Startup folder.

Thanks again!
Kei

Another question if I may. One good thing about having Remote Desktop start up the application is that the applicatin is the only thing that is shown on the screen, no explorer. Doing it the way you have described it works but will give the user access to the expolrer which I would like to be hidden.

My preference would be to RDP into the PC which automatically RDP's to another PC (Setup using the RDP's Program tab) which would start the second application only. Is this even possible?

Thanks,
Kei

This might give you a few ideas to play with?

Multiple Allications to start using one shortcut?
thread779-1130623

Thanks for the link. I read through it but do not think it would fir in my situation.

In the first RDP seesion, I have:

mstsc /v:IP.AD.DR.ES

in the programs tab which will automatically start the next RDP session. What I would like for it to do on this second RDP session is to start a application upon startup the same way I did the first so that it would be the only thing visible to the user. I tried:

mstsc filename /v:IP.AD.DE.ES

hoping that it would use the RDP profile that I created for the second session but with no luck. If anyone has any other ideas, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Kei

I might have missed the point, but I just see no reason to RDP from within an RDP. Why not RDP directly to the final machine?

Is there some security issue that I'm unaware of?

In any case specifying the connection file in the string should work. I suppose you would have to specify the complete path to the file like:

mstsc "C:\path\to\rdp\file.ext" ...

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Yes, there is a security issue. I will try your method but currently I went ahead and created a batch file and put the path to the batch file on the first RDP session and that seems to work fine now.

Thank you, I really appreciate the help and ideas you provided.

Kei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back