Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjfusion

IS-IT--Management
May 1, 2006
US
Hi,

I am trying to connect to my server using Remote Desktop, and I get the error that says: "The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new connections. It is also possible that network problems are preventing your connection. Please try your connection again later. If the problem continues to occur, contact your administrator."

I've check everything and nothing works. I am on a local network, Windows 2003 Server, with all the latest updates etc. I even try by IP address and get the same message. I've also made sure the firewall is off on the network card as well. Any help would be appreciated.

-CJ

-CJ

Ok, how do I set that up? I'm getting ready to go to another office and that is why I want the remote desktop/terminal services.

-CJ

Sorry, just got this msg. You need to go to add remove windows componants and select it there, you might also need toe disk.

The error means that Windows Server is either not replying to your request on that port or that some network issue is preventing TCP requests on port 3389 from reaching that server.

I'd check again on the firewall status (e.g. the Windows firewall and any 3rd party applications) and I would also suggest double checking that you have enabled remote access via the computer properties - remote tab too.

Finally, double check the event logs. If possible (e.g. not against company policy) I would clear all event logs and then try again. See if anything crops up.

One last thing - I presume you can remote desktop to other servers from your client?

Thanks,

Steve.

"They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson

Also you might want to check the local policy of the server. Open up the group policy console then drill down to "Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Terminal Services". Then look for "Allow users to connect remotely using terminal services" set it to "Enable" and see if that makes a difference.

J

Did you use the "Manage Your Server" wizard to enable Routing/Remote Access? If so, then try disabling that role.

If a port scan doesn't show it, it means one of two things:

1. You have a firewall blocking that port. Either a software firewall or a hardware firewall. This will need to be configured to allow port 3389.

2. The service is not enabled. Ensure the 'Terminal Services' service is started. (should be using the local system account and set to manual startup)

Thanks,

Steve.

Is there a hardware firewall, how do your clients get the internet on your network?

Got it fixed.

"The service is not enabled. Ensure the 'Terminal Services' service is started. (should be using the local system account and set to manual startup)"

For some reason this was turned off. Thanks everyone!!!!

-CJ

cjfusion said:
We dont have a firewall on the system at all, or at least that I'm aware of.

Don't forget Windows Firewall that's included with Windows Server 2003! ;-)

Good Luck,

Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back