Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

catalystcommercial

Technical User
Oct 6, 2005
GB
Does any one know how to set the properties on remote desktop on windows server 2000
We have got it installed but when we tryand connect we get the message
"the client could not connect to the remote computer, remote connections might not be enabled, or it may be too busy to accept connections"

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

Tim

You have installed Terminal Services in admin mode presumably and the service is started?

When connecting with the remote desktop client as long as you use an admin account to log in it should just work.

Neill

Hi guys

Thanks for the reponse

No we have installed it in admin mode but on the network admin role

Should it be the user remote admin for the PC?

Thanks

Tim

I'm not sure i understand "but on the network admin role". Once terminal services is installed you should be able to connect straight away after a reboot.

I have done as you suggested above, but my server is not authenticating, when I try and register it for licensing it asks for a pin, where do I get one of these?

Ahh are you just using it for remote admin?

If so then you do not need to have the licence server installed that is only for Application Mode.

Hi there

It is in remote admin mode, but i cant see my server in services manager, it shows as not authenticated, I also cant start the service as it says it may be diabled

any ideas?

I know i'm stating the obvious but have you looked in computer management to see if the service is dissabled?

Also do you get any errors in teh event log when the service fails to start?

licensing is installed, and the service running but it says i need to enter a pin number, could this be the problem?

You need to uninstall the Terminal Server Liscensing. When you installed the Terminal Server Licsensing your TS installtion turned on the Application Mode which does require that you setup a licensing server and you would need to get a pin from MS. Since you are only using TS for server administration you want it to run a Aministrator Mode which does not require that you install a pin. Kill the Terminal Server Licsensing and all should be good.

Good luck.

JC

Hi

I have just set this up on 2 remote windows 2000 servers

as "trusted" said, you must have installed terminal services not in "admin mode", just uninstall and reinstall teminal services in admin mode only, this allows remote access for administrators only and does not require licencing

as a note:

I read about security issues with TS and remote desktop, they suggested disabling remote accesss for the obvious user account of "administrator" and creating a new user for remote access and putting that user in the admin group, you also need to add that user within the permissions tab in the terminal services configuration applett in admin tools
and remove the administrator, thats how I did it anyway

I suppose it's highly unlikley that some hacker would guess the new remote username and password?

I also turned encryption to high within terminal services manager

It depends on the remote access you require, as you could also if required, create a new OU within your servers AD and drop a user in there and configure group policy to restrict the users desktop and setiings, I have just done that for several TS users, you can lock it right down :)

Rokitman1
"Any Time..Any Place..Anywhere.....That's Martini" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back