Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote desktop XP for dummies-Crazy888s can u help? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyLux

Technical User
Aug 12, 2003
LU
Dear all,

I am not a techie (a techie wannabe though) but out of desperation am writing to figure out how to use remote desktop.

I have a tiny company that I just started with a couple of desktops running XP professional, connecting to what I think is a router? (Zywall?) which itself connects to a DSL modem.

I have a laptop which runs XP home in German (don't ask). I managed to access one of my desktop user accounts from my laptop using the remote desktop feature of XP by hooking up to the router. I guess this router is also serving as some sort of LAN.

I tried to see if I could access it from home over my dial-up connection but I just get an error message that either the remote desktop function is not activated or there are too many connections active on the remote computer.

I figure there must be some sort of firewall issue or changing IP address issue that keeps me from accessing this desktop from outside the "network" I have somehow created at the office.

Can anyone help please? I do not feel worthy of this forum but desperation made me dare. Thanks!

This was a great and VERY helpfull thread! One question, can two people log with RDC to different computers? How about at the same time?

Could you restate it? Cannot quite understand what you mean.
Robert

I have a similar issue. I have windows xp at home which i want to connect to a windows 2000 profeessional at work which is behind a firewall. First i want to whether Windows 2000 supports a connection comming from a XP which is using Remote Desktop features. If so what all i need to do in the firewall to open the port 3389 if i am right and what all i need to do in the windows 2000 machine in the office.
Appreciate a quick response

I don't believe Windows 2000 professional can run terminal services. I think you'd need Windows 2000 server, but you should ask in the win2k forum.

smah,
You are correct about Terminal Server.

Member idsi was asking if his home XP could use Remote Desktop to connect to a Win2k at work. No. Only Windows XP Professional can serve as a remote Host for a Remote Desktop session. Nearly all versions of Windows can act as client, but only XP Professional can serve as a Remote Desktop Host.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back