Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop Works - (sometimes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chasarak

Technical User
Apr 11, 2004
US
I have 5 computers at work. I have enabled 3 for Remote Desktop. 2 of the 3 are running XP-pro the 3rd is my server on 2000 Server. I usually access from my laptop, also on XP-pro.

I left the port on the server at 3389 and changed the listening port on the other two to 3390 and 3391 and port forwarded to the respective IP's on the router. I was using a D-Link 4 port gateway router but thought it was a problem so I changed to a Netgear 4 port gateway router. I have Earthlink DSL with Static IP at work and Cable Internet at home.

I have another business location with a static IP through the cable Internet and have set up 2 computers (no server there) and did the port forwarding thing and it works great - every time!!

Here's my problem --
Sometimes, it works great and I can access any (or all) computers (so I know it's set up right!) Then other times, I get the "client could not connect to remote computer" message. I thought it was a router problem (possibly packets of data getting stuck?) so I changed it. I haven't changed the modem but the switch/hub is fairly new.

Last night at 6:30 I got in fine but today I can't get in at all. Very frustrating. Don't know if it's ISP, modem, etc. Any thoughts?

I had the same problem on a Netscreen box where sometimes the TS would go right in and others it wouldn't. They had me do this:

It can be a fragmentation issue of data packets. So we will suggest you to issue the following command from the CLI:
set flow path-mtu
set flow all-tcp-mss 1300

Could be the same kind of issue on your Firewall, however I couldn't tell you how to fix a Fragmentation of data packets issue on your box, "IF this is the problem."

Just an idea.

AV

Tried those commands from the dos box on the client. Got error msg about "flow" not being a supported command.

Still wondering if it has to do with data packets, or possibly that Earthlink requires PPPoE even though I'm on static IP and maybe the connection is timing out?? or maybe have them swap out the modem?? Need to call them tomorrow and see if there's a different set-up for static IP and see if that works!

Thanks anyhow!

Charlie

Try setting up a Server monitor at each location to monitor each other and also monitor a third party like Intels website. This may shed light on your PPPoE connection.

If you modify your MTU settings make sure you use the same setting for all computers at that location.

Some good reading can be found @
Grab Dr TCP from to automate MTU settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back