Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop Web Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

smthpete02

Technical User
Dec 9, 2004
US
Ok, so I've read a lot of posts about similar issues here but none seem to address my problem.

I have a windows XP box running IIS behind a BEFSR41 linksys router. On WAN computers I can access my server with the Remote Desktop Client, but not with the Remote Desktop Web Connection page. I can use the client or RDWC from LAN side computers.

If you're unfamiliar with the RDWC is basically an active X control that should let you have remote control through a browser.

At work here I'm on an NT box with limited capabilities. I cannot install the Remote Desktop Client (no administrator rights and I can't ask for them). So that's why I want to use the web connection.

Is this a problem with my network setup or my server setup. I'm baffled.

Thanks for any help
-Pete

Alright, so I figured out the problem was that I need to disable blocking WAN requests in the Filters part of my router.

Alas, still not luck here at work. Port 3389 is not available for my use here. I know it's possible to change which port to use however, I do not know what ports are available to me at work. Maybe only 80.

How can I find out?

I ran into a similar issue with a linksys BEFS41 router that I think I have solved. here is what I did:

- Disable "Block WAN Requests" on the "Filters" tab.
- Set type as "TCP and 'UDP" on the terminal services entry in the "Forwarding" tab.

Also, check out this article for info on how to change your port numbers:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back