Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop Web Connection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

drexen1

MIS
Feb 6, 2003
US
I am having trouble accessing my Windows 2003 Terminal Server from the Internet using Remote Desktop Web Connection. I installed Terminal Services and I installed Tsweb (Remote Desktop Web Connection 5.2.3790). I am able to get to the Remote Desktop Web Connection default.html login page from the Internet. However, after I type in the public IP address of my Terminal Server and choose Connect, I get the following error message:

“The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new connections. It is also possible that network problems are preventing your connection.”

I can successfully login and connect to the Terminal Sever using Remote Desktop Web Connection if I connect to it within my internal LAN.

What else do I need to setup to get this to work from the Internet?

Thanks!

Sounds like a firewall/routing issue. Because you can access this through your LAN, I am sure that TS is setup properly.

You would have to provide more detail to help you with specific details of the resolution.

- How many servers / servernames (alter these but needed for example)

- What king of Internet connection

- Public IP's and Private IPs (alter these but needed for example fix)

- What kind of Firewall Router

- Do you use VPN software or is this is connection right over the Internet?

-later

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

I have one of our public IP addresses: 67.81.123.X setup to NAT to one of our internal IP addresses: 192.0.0.X. for the Terminal Server.

This is all happening through a T1 Internet connection flowing through a WatchGuard Firewall box.

I do not have a DNS name setup to resolve the server IP, so I am just typing in the public IP into Internet Explorer. Example: https:// 67.81.123.X/tsweb

I am presented our SSL Certificate, which I click on “Yes” to accept it. Then I am directed to the Remote Desktop Web Connection default.htm web page.

In the window that ask for the Server, I type in the public IP: 67.81.123.X and then I click on “Connect”

It eventually times out and gives me the following error message:

“The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new connections. It is also possible that network problems are preventing your connection.”

I have checked our firewall logs and it does not show anything being blocked or denied.

Summary:

External IP: 67.81.123.X
Internal IP: 192.0.0.X
Terminal Server Name: TSRDC
Firewall: WatchGuard
VPN Software: None used
Internet Connection: T1

Thanks for the info, I'm sure we can get this working for you...

"In the window that ask for the Server, I type in the public IP: 67.81.123.X and then I click on “Connect” "

Have you tried to enter the private IP address? (This probably won't work...but it might be a good test.)

You are able to get to the web page because this is using ports 80 and port 443. You probably have already opened these ports on the firewall. However, to be able to get to a TS session, you need to open port 3389 (by default unless you change this port number...which you might want to do to make it a little harder for hackers)

More information about the port:

-later

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Ok, I opened port 3389 in my firewall to allow the TS session to come through. However, I am still getting the error message:

I also tried typing in the private IP address into the server connect window to see if that would allow me in but that didn’t work also.

I am not sure what else could be preventing me from getting in.

Remember that you need to open the ports for the destination machine too.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

Do you mean that I need to open the ports on the Windows 2003 Terminal Server?

Which ports do I need to open and how do I do it on the server?

You have the ports opened to your TSweb server. This is good. But if the server you want to remote to is a different server, you need to open firewall ports to that server as well.

Example:

TS web server = TSWebServer1 = 10.10.10.20
Server that you want to remote desktop to = Fileserver1 = 10.10.10.21

You need to make sure that your firewall is allowing port 3389 IN BOUND and OUT BOUND for server 10.10.10.20.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back