Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop Web Connection trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobaltikus

Technical User
Apr 15, 2004
US
My specs:
Westell ADSL modem
Microsoft Base Station MN-100 (router/firewall)
Windows XP Pro

I have the base station TCP and UDP ports 3389, 80, & 52 forwarded to the PC I am trying to connect to remotely (192.168.X.X). I installed IIS and RDWC from the installation cd. I can connect via RD and RDWC from anywhere on my home network but neither will work from outside. I've tried disabling the firewall. I've tried enabling the DMZ for the host. Everytime I try to connect to the host from somewhere other than my home network by going to I get "Page cannot be displayed." I got my external ip address from I've also tried adding :80 after the ext ip add. If I could just get RDWC to work I would be happy.

Could anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Did I map the correct ports?

More info -->

I logged onto my ADSL modem provided by Verizon (192.168.1.1). I could not make any changes because the modem belongs to Verizon and I do not have the password but I was able to find out that my internet connection type is "PPPoE." My base station had my internet connection type set to "Dynamic." I changed this to PPPoE, saved changes, and now my external ip address is different. (Anyone know why?) Remote Desktop works now, with the new IP address, but RDWC still does not. Any help would be much appreciated so that I can connect to my home pc from computers w/o remote desktop.

TIA,
Cobaltikus

thread41-876698

I figured it out thanks to Serbtastic

--Cobaltikus--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back