Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop vs. other remote products

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanthe99

IS-IT--Management
Aug 1, 2003
US
We are a hospital with 150 networked users. We are in the process of upgrading everyone to Windows XP Pro. We currently utilize PC Anywhere on servers etc. for remote access. Can we support users remotely with Windows XP or is another product better? We often need to remap drives etc. for end users. I am also looking at our help desk software (Track-It!) which offers Remote software as well. Just trying to get a feel for what's out there as we're tired of running around putting out fires. Thanks in advance-

Hello Sir, I have a fair experiance in track-it and so far I find their product pretty good, but I have no experiance in their remote control tool. ( I miss 5.0 ) I am not a real big fan of 6.0, but anyway,

One product that does pretty good is: VNC. It is free (yay!). and small on system resources. The only bad thing is it needs IP (not a big problem) and requires a password to connect to the machine (which is sent in clear text). VNC has a lot of options where the user can let someone look at their screen, or deny them, or the user will never know your looking at them and so forth,

for Free it has a lot of really really good features.

-Mesa

try Dameware
it can remotely install the remote client software as well as handle all the administation of your servers and workstations.

Jon

DameWare is well worth the money.. I use it several times a day.

Agreed DameWare rocks i highly recommend it.

!!A good cup of Tetley keeps the madness at bay!!

I use tight VNC for remote control and it works great. I can remotely install it but i can't set the password. I was told it is just a registry entry but i cannot make this work. any info MesaMarshall? We have homegrown helpdesk software.

What I've done in the past is copy the reg key
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ORL] from a working install and import it to another machine it will copy the password.

Please tell me how you install VNC remotely?

Thanks,

Tyler

If you have a domain, you can use the native windows XP remote desktop. This will eliminate the cost for the need for PC Anywhere, unless you have to do support from a remote location. I have also been assured that it is secure.

thread94-712945

We use Remote Administrator 2.1 in our location. It runs fairly "thin" over WAN connections, and seems to be a fairly good solution.

Remotely Anywhere is a cool prog, that isn't to hard on the budget........ But I agree with the VNC user's in that its a fairly good program, but it lacks some features, but for free its awesome.. Remotely anywhere is cheaper than the symantec packages, its about 6400 for a site license which will cover all computers and servers.... unlimited.

peace

I agree with everyone here. VNC is good, but Dameware is probably the most used app that I use on a daily basis.

It's a must have for any SA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back