Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remote desktop using laptop which is same as desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

boryan

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2004
US
We have users whose main computer at the office is a laptop. When they travel with it, they have no PC at the office to connect to using Remote Desktop, since that is the computer/laptop they have in their hands. How does Remote Desktop work for these types of users? They all have roaming profiles on the network, but Remote Desktop asks you to connect to a specific computer, which unfortunately is the one you've got in your lap.

I think you want a Terminal server. Setup properly they would RDC to it, which would load their profiles, they could access any net program they need. Look into it, and if you decide to go that route, I would run it through a VPN connection for security.

I would like traveling laptop users to be able to connect to our network and see their profile/desktop, just as if they had a workstation at the office and then a home computer. Using Remote Desktop through a VPN I can connect to my office computer and use all my applications. So if they have a laptop as opposed to two computers, using a VPN, will they also be able to use Remote Desktop -- will the server load their roaming profile even though they do not have a computer sitting in the office?

I would like traveling laptop users to be able to connect to our network and see their profile/desktop, just as if they had a workstation at the office and then a home computer"

If you have a Terminal server with roaming profiles, yes.
The Terminal services connection can be minimized, so the home desktop can be used. This could be used by anyone with authorization, a laptop or desktop, or a dumb terminal at home

Since the users are actually running everything in a session on the Terminal server, with a fairly fast server and enough ram they will actually run faster than if they are on the LAN. On one Ts setup with 2gig ram, with only a 1 Ghz processor, programs ran faster than some 2.2 and 2.4 Ghz machines loading from the LAN, definitely faster then an RDC to a workstation.
This does not stop you from creating a connection to a rmote desktop connection to a workstation in the office. A Terminal server is equivalent to creating multiple remote desktops (sessions) to a server. A terminal server should be a server pretty much dedicated to terminal services, not a domain controller due to security. Terminal services is a great tool.

Like in most small offices, unfortunately, the money is just not available to purchase a separate terminal server. Since I already have remote desktop set up for those of us who use stationary office computers and stationary home computers, I was hoping I could use the same technology and settings for everyone, including those who just use their laptop for both home and away games. But since Remote Desktop is looking for a computer name, as opposed to a user name initially, am I out of luck?

Oh, one more question: when I log onto my office computer using first the VPN connection and then Remote Desktop, when I put the computer name in (both as computer1 and then as computer1.mydomain.local) it says it can't be found. But if I put the IP address in, it's fine. Confusing for users to do this, and it's DHCP. IP stays the same mostly so it's not a gigantic deal, but don't want users to have to type IP address, and why won't it find the computer name itself? All computers are added in ADUC.... Am I missing some backslashes? Seems like this method of naming would work.

Well thank you. I'll try this.

I don't know if I've understood correctly, but it seems that VNC would do this job well. Its free, its simple to set up, its secure (though you can tunnel through an SSH connection for additional security) and best of all, its free (again)!!

For a proper, more professional but more expensive service, I would recommend a third party-maintained VPN service, and a Citrix system - this allows you to share applications over a network in the way you described.

One question, if all the users have their own machines, why do you use roaming profiles?

I use roaming profiles because of an occasional office sharing / computer sharing issue. I don't much like it, but.... I've thought about VNC also and I'll look into that. Thanks all of you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back